Thread: Need help choosing a new air compressor

Need help choosing a new air compressor

My porter-cable pancake compressor died today. I'm not too upset since I think it cost me under $10/year over its life. However, I would like to buy a better and bigger compressor. I have a few requirements:

• It must be portable (i.e. have wheels)
    • It must have a tank size between 10 and 20 gallons
    • It must be cable of at least 125psi
    • It must be electric
    • It must be priced under $600
    • It must not draw over 15 amps

I use the compressor for filling tires, cleaning off tools, nail guns, etc. I don't currently spray finish but I would like the option to do that in the future. I do not anticipate using air sanders or other tools that use huge amounts of air. The reason I want a bigger compressor is that I didn't like how often my now-defunct 6 gallon compressor cycled.

What brands should I consider? Is a model that requires oil an issue if I am moving the compressor, even in a car lying down? Is oil a pain to deal with in general? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Brian W Evans; 05-28-2016 at 6:16 PM.

I myself have an older Porter-Cable pancake compressor, but I've read very good things about things about California Air Tools compressors. Check them out.

Rolair makes good compressors for light shop use. In order for you to run a spray gun you will need a compressor with a minimum 6 to 8 cfm rating and a decent sized air tank. If you're looking to start spraying finishes your best bet is to look in to a HVLP turnbine system. I have a Fuji Q4 Gold and love it.

Ingersoll Rand also makes good compressors for shop use. They have large 60 gallon units that run off 220v but also make a smaller unit on wheels called the GarageMate if I'm not mistaken that will fun on 120v.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...rs/garage-mate
    Last edited by Dimitrios Fradelakis; 05-28-2016 at 7:57 PM.

Your old compressor was not capable of supplying a real 125psi and most other single stage are not either so what do you mean by capable of at least 125psi?

Do you mean a compressor that cycles off at 125 and cycles in at 100 or so? Do you mean a compressor that can properly fill a 110psi motorhome or truck tire? If so cross most off your list like the California Air Tools. Makita MAC-700 can do that but just barely. If you need to supply a constant 125psi, you will need two stage so some of your other criteria will have to give.

I have a 30 gal Husky from HD. I do occasional work with it now but when I bought it I used it everyday for about 3 weeks, all day running a Hitachi nailer for doing the cement board siding on my house - couldn't do that job without a good compressor. Never used it for tires - for just a top off I get by with an old Craftsman tire inflator and it works fine - load but fine.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 05-28-2016 at 8:10 PM.

IR GarageMate...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    IR GarageMate...
    +1. I have the 2HP 30 gal horizontal version. Very happy with it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at both the California Air Tools and the Ingersoll-Rand. My main question now is: what about the oil? I've only had the pancake compressor and know nothing about maintaining a compressor that needs oil. Is it a hassle? Can the compressor be tilted on its side? Do I need a filter on the air hose?

The IR Garage Mate is a great compressor but at 2 HP, you may exceed 15 amps. IR's Garage Mate flyer says "total package amps" 15 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was looking at both the California Air Tools and the Ingersoll-Rand. My main question now is: what about the oil? I've only had the pancake compressor and know nothing about maintaining a compressor that needs oil. Is it a hassle? Can the compressor be tilted on its side? Do I need a filter on the air hose?
    Brian
    Just about anything you buy, other than another PC pancake compressor, is an improvement. I have a PC pancake compressor. I hate it! and only use it in parallel with my Rolair JC10 when I need a little extra flow. I put a foam box over that little screamer when I do use it.
    A compressor with oil is not a hassle. The oil is in a reservoir, and on a lower priced units is either a splash lube type, or an mechanical, internal, single stage pump. Oil compressors are going to run quieter than a mechanical pancake type, much quieter. Ordinarily there is some type of a "bullseye" level gauge that you can verify oil level in. The oil is cheap, and many units will use a non detergent motor oil, which is readily available anywhere.
    If by "tilting" on it's side you mean to lay it flat, then no, you really shouldn't do that. If you need to to lay the unit flat, drain the oil first.
    You should always have a filter somewhere near the beginning of the air hose,( outlet of the compressor), regardless of compressor type. It can be internal, or external, or part of the regulator, but you want some minimum amount of filtering.

Supplying air at 125psi, at any nominal flow rate, is a big demand. Most smaller compressors will pressurize the tank to 125psi+, but won't be able to deliver that pressure for more than just a short time. You can get that high of a pressure out, but not for long.
    There are a lot of compressors that will fit your needs. The IR garage mate looks to be suitable
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-29-2016 at 6:44 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

This is the compressor I bought about 2 years back. I really like it, especially the low noise, and wheels.

https://www.rolair.com/products/air-...d-carry/vt20tb

Robert

Thanks for all the input. As often happens I learned a couple of things and found something I didn't even know existed before. I decided on the Rolair FC250090L:

• 24 gallon tank
    • Wheels
    • Draws 14.6 Amps
    • Available on Amazon for $434

I'll post a review once I get a chance to use it a bit.

Thanks again.

The Rolair looks like a nice compressor.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney