Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodell Pratt 5-1/2 B Hand Drill restoration

A curiosity question. What are the 2 speeds - revolutions of the bit per 1 turn of the crank?

Nice, Clay!

I've got a simpler G-P drill on which the little finger that keeps the driving (crank) gear pressed against the driven gear has worn, so the driving gear wobbles. Did you find any issues with yours, and, if so, how did you fix them?

Or, other folks: got a good solution for this issue?

A curiosity question. What are the 2 speeds - revolutions of the bit per 1 turn of the crank?
    If I have understood right, ratious are 3.8 to 1 and 1.3 to 1. Does those sound rational?

I try to look, if I could find those kind of springs. Only bad thing was, that there was none of those springs left, so I got no point to make a mach. But thanks to original thread, there was picture of damaged springs. That helps a little bit for sure. And Jims tip too. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Tomi,

Other disposable lighters have at least one spring under the flint. So you do not have to hold out for a BIC if they are not easily available.

My recollection is the springs in retractable tip ball point pens were a touch big for my needs.

There are a lot of everyday sources for springs one can exploit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Tomi,
    The 3.8 to 1 is in the range of my single speed drills. A 3 to 1 difference in high to low speed also seems reasonable. Thanks.