Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting Cast Iron for long term storage (4 years) in garage without Boeshield

Protecting Cast Iron for long term storage (4 years) in garage without Boeshield

I am moving away for school for 4 years. I am going to be storing my cast iron top machines (bandsaw, planer, etc) in my parents garage during that period. I don't have access to boeshield where I live. What can I put on the cast iron surfaces so that it is protected from rust for the next 4 years.

Rahul,

The answer, and the effectiveness of the treatment, depends on the environment in which the tools will be stored. One of the main issues in rusting of tools is fluctuation in temperature and relative humidity. Briefly, an iron surface that is cooler than the ambient air will attract condensate, which will promote rust. Also, chemicals like salt (from sweat, etc,) and some rust removers left on the iron may attract water from the air. Wipe the iron clean with an oily rag.

If the tools will be stored in a relatively dry climate with minor temperature fluctuations then I would feel comfortable with a good coating of furniture or floor wax (no silicone!) like Butcher's Wax or Johnson's. In a humid climate with significant temperature swings, consider a thicker coat of wax, perhaps even paraffin wax (used in canning) or petroleum jelly (Vaseline). For bearings, gears, etc just apply heavy mineral oil. Enough should remain in place to protect these surfaces. It will be messy to remove the petroleum jelly in four years, but so be it.

Before moving to Denver (desert climate) I lived in Iowa, Virginia and coastal Florida. Paste wax seemed to work very well, but my tools were being used and were not stored for four years.

Boeshield is really the best because you can spray it into parts that you can't otherwise reach. It might be worth the effort to get some, but then I don't know where you live.

Theoretically, a coat of BLO or shellac should provide an effective vapor barrier for clean flat surfaces. It could be very difficult to remove from some inaccessible surfaces, however. I have never tried this.

Doug

I'd say wrap everything carefully in movers blankets. As above, condensation on machine surfaces occurs when there are large fluctuations in temperatures typically in the spring and fall. If your machines are insulated a bit, it should help.

Could always use cosmoline as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Rahul,

The answer, and the effectiveness of the treatment, depends on the environment in which the tools will be stored. One of the main issues in rusting of tools is fluctuation in temperature and relative humidity. Briefly, an iron surface that is cooler than the ambient air will attract condensate, which will promote rust. Also, chemicals like salt (from sweat, etc,) and some rust removers left on the iron may attract water from the air. Wipe the iron clean with an oily rag.

If the tools will be stored in a relatively dry climate with minor temperature fluctuations then I would feel comfortable with a good coating of furniture or floor wax (no silicone!) like Butcher's Wax or Johnson's. In a humid climate with significant temperature swings, consider a thicker coat of wax, perhaps even paraffin wax (used in canning) or petroleum jelly (Vaseline). For bearings, gears, etc just apply heavy mineral oil. Enough should remain in place to protect these surfaces. It will be messy to remove the petroleum jelly in four years, but so be it.

Before moving to Denver (desert climate) I lived in Iowa, Virginia and coastal Florida. Paste wax seemed to work very well, but my tools were being used and were not stored for four years.

Boeshield is really the best because you can spray it into parts that you can't otherwise reach. It might be worth the effort to get some, but then I don't know where you live.

Theoretically, a coat of BLO or shellac should provide an effective vapor barrier for clean flat surfaces. It could be very difficult to remove from some inaccessible surfaces, however. I have never tried this.

Doug

Doug, Thanks for the feedback. I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I don't really know how to describe the humidity level. We have all 4 seasons here. I would not describe it as humid though. Would it just be safe to just use Petroleum Jelly. I am really only going to be doing a Planer bed, bandsaw table and drill press table.

Being a teacher overseas I do leave a few tools for very long periods of time in a garage. I have had these steps work exceptionally well: clean all tools well, even the tracks and every crevice of sawdust that can adsorb moisture, then rub in a penetrating coating, top with a couple coats of paste wax, then lay on thick layer of Slipit jelly, and top with a thin painters plastic sheeting, making sure to lay it on to get all of the air out between the slipit and plastic. When I return I just wipe the tools off and go to work. A can of Slipit has lasted me for five years and the tools are like new. I had a roof leak above one tool and it had no damage at all.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Rahul, I live 2 1/2 hours to the SW and I know Edmonton very well (used to farm in the area before retirement). Lee Valley in Edmonton carries Boeshield T9 and Moovit. Also keeping the garage well ventilated during spring, summer and fall helps a lot with condensation and even heat in the winter (+10 deg. C is plenty)

I don't think Boeshield will be enough. Back when we had the warehouse here in Austin, the warehouse guys used this rattle-can stuff from CRC that was specifically designed to protect raw metal during storage. Went on like snot but did what it was supposed to do.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I don't think Boeshield will be enough. Back when we had the warehouse here in Austin, the warehouse guys used this rattle-can stuff from CRC that was specifically designed to protect raw metal during storage. Went on like snot but did what it was supposed to do.

Erik
    Cosmoline?

After Erik's mention of CRC products, I went looking and found this. I haven't used it, but it looked promising. Hard to beat Boeshield though....

https://www.zoro.com/crc-outdoor-cor...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    After Erik's mention of CRC products, I went looking and found this. I haven't used it, but it looked promising. Hard to beat Boeshield though....

https://www.zoro.com/crc-outdoor-cor...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's the stuff!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

LPS 3 is a heavy duty rust inhibitor. I used to use it to spray on crankshafts and other machined surfaces that were destined for storage back when I had my machine shop.

It would be my first choice. It's basically a spray cosmoline type product.

CRC used to sell the same or a similar product as an ignition sealer on cars to prevent water shorting out the high tension leads and distributor. it went to a hard plastic coating when applied and I used it to preserve my father's machines when he could no longer use them.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

A while back I'd read in a Family Handyman magazine about a newer rust prevention technology. I've never used them but the technology sounds interesting. It may not be intended for something the size of a saw table.
    http://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/...tools/view-all

I followed the link on the above web site. They actually make table saw covers and bigger.
    Last edited by Ken Kortge; 05-30-2016 at 8:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul Srivastava View Post
    Doug, Thanks for the feedback. I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I don't really know how to describe the humidity level. We have all 4 seasons here. I would not describe it as humid though. Would it just be safe to just use Petroleum Jelly. I am really only going to be doing a Planer bed, bandsaw table and drill press table.

Boeshield T-9 is available through Lee Valley, there is one in Edmonton is there not?
    Andrew J. Coholic