Thread: Handles - Lots of Handles

Handles - Lots of Handles

Got pretty good at these. Now I need to try out my new toys.

IMG_1514.jpg

Looking good, Mike.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

3. All are nice, but for comfort, I would have rounded the butt end or at least put a chamfer on it. That sharp edge would dig into the palm of my right hand on some cuts, but you may have a very different grip than I use at times.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice job Mike. Not everyone but a lot of people use the beaders unhandled. Takes a little bit to get use to using a tool without a handle but you never have to worry about the bed ways getting in the way on end-grain apps.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

...Not everyone but a lot of people use the beaders unhandled.
    I love a good handle (and these look great). I'm one of those who use lots of tools unhandled, especially on smaller work. I never put a handle on the fat round StLeger roughing gouge that Doug Thompson sells, on several spindle and detail gouges, and a handful of small neg rake scrapers I made from Thompson stock, mostly used on end grain.

JKJ

What do you folks think of the aluminum handles on the Carter and Son tools?

I've never tried one so no firsthand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rasmussen View Post
    What do you folks think of the aluminum handles on the Carter and Son tools?
    I've never tried one so no firsthand experience.
    I haven't tried one but they look pretty expensive. I did try one bare metal handle and I thought it was cold and uncomfortable.

I do like the collet/adapters with set screws and use them on many handles but since I make them myself a good wooden handle costs less than a dollar:

textured_handles_hunterIMG_.jpg

These are for some of Mike Hunter's smaller carbide tools. I make the collets from aluminum or steel, depending on the size. (steel holds short set screws better for a small diameter collet)

My favorite metal handles that I bought are the Monster Tools steel handles with a tough foam outer covering. I bought a bunch once when he had a Summer Sale, mostly for larger tools. These feel great, in grip and balance. You can get two sizes of bore in one handle.

http://www.monster-lathe-tools.com/c...category_id=65

JKJ

Thanks for the replies. Should have mentioned the wood is madrone. A nice guy why lives by a shipyard sent a box full of blanks for shipping cost only. The scraper has a piece of ash in the middle.

Roger - think I will radius the butt end as you suggest.

For those that go unhandled beware - on another forum a guy that put handles on his had a friend that didn't. The friend was beading the face of a piece and he hit a hidden crack and it pushed the tool down hard against his palm. His hand got pushed against the ways. This resulted in the tool piercing a hole in his hand. Needless to say he will now put handles on his beading tools.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    For those that go unhandled beware - on another forum a guy that put handles on his had a friend that didn't. The friend was beading the face of a piece and he hit a hidden crack and it pushed the tool down hard against his palm. His hand got pushed against the ways. This resulted in the tool piercing a hole in his hand. Needless to say he will now put handles on his beading tools.
    Bummer. I can see where that could happen with the beading tools (like those sold by dway and others) that are held at an angle. Not so much for small tools like very small negative-rake scrapers held horizontal.

JKJ