Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Cut the cord and throw the battery away

[QUOTE=Kees Heiden;2571702choice.

But of course it's not all black and white like that. I remember a tale from a poor land worker from the early 20th century who was very happy to exchange his shovel for a tractor later in his life. But at that time, mechanisation went hand in hand with a better quality of life for everybody. Something that wasn't so evident in the 19th century.[/QUOTE]

In my neighborhood the farmers are pretty well to do. Most have never operated a tractor, but they do know how to use a hoe.

A question like this always begs one to wonder "Why?", hence the OP question may not have been answered directly. Example: its quite therapeutic and rewarding to saw and chop out dovetails. I would never again use a router and a jig. I love the look of slightly irregular spacing and the occasional gap or oversaw (gasp!).

On a side note, have you ever examined an antique chest of drawers and looked at the quality of the DT? Some are horrible. They put the effort into the facade of the piece like carvings, architectural features, and veneer. This tells me the craftsman were quite utilitarian, while we often strive for museum or show quality pieces.

Guys like Paul Sellers and Tom Fridgen, IMO are craftsmen in truest sense of the word - not only because they use hand tools, but because their methods of work lead them to great pieces. This is what prompted me to sell my DT jig. They also have my utmost respect for keeping historical methods of work alive.

Truthfully, I think Stewie has it. I have no doubt ww'ers of old would be quite perplexed as to why one wouldn't use the technology available in the day. Case in point: steam powered sawmills.

Good luck in your endeavor once you get set up perhaps you could post a video or two?
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 06-04-2016 at 7:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    It also depends on which pieces you want to put in the spotlight, I'm sure the work that proceeded was at least partially dictated by budget. If you take a close look at basically no-budget pieces like anything in Chateau De Versailles, especially those special items in the King's apartments, they're flawless in every aspect. Point being that then, just like now, there were pieces where the client wanted something that looked good at a 5ft distance, and those pieces which every thing counted and would be inspected up close.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    A question like this always begs one to wonder "Why?", hence the OP question may not have been answered directly. Example: its quite therapeutic and rewarding to saw and chop out dovetails. I would never again use a router and a jig. I love the look of slightly irregular spacing and the occasional gap or oversaw (gasp!).

On a side note, have you ever examined an antique chest of drawers and looked at the quality of the DT? Some are horrible. They put the effort into the facade of the piece like carvings, architectural features, and veneer. This tells me the craftsman were quite utilitarian, while we often strive for museum or show quality pieces.

Guys like Paul Sellers and Tom Fridgen, IMO are craftsmen in truest sense of the word - not only because they use hand tools, but because their methods of work lead them to great pieces. This is what prompted me to sell my DT jig. They also have my utmost respect for keeping historical methods of work alive.

Truthfully, I think Stewie has it. I have no doubt ww'ers of old would be quite perplexed as to why one wouldn't use the technology available in the day. Case in point: steam powered sawmills.

Good luck in your endeavor once you get set up perhaps you could post a video or two?
    Thank you much. Doubt I will have a video. Heck I don't even have or want a computer . This iPhone 4 does every thing I need.

Dovetails ?? Cecil Pierce did dome pretty good ones also didn't he ?