Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you mount your tool rack for minimum dust and curlies?

Where do you mount your tool rack for minimum dust and curlies?

Making a new lathe space…
    I have been using a dedicated table-base for my lathe and will be changing to a free-standing lathe.

Where do you mount your tool rack in relation to the lathe?
    I will be making a wall mounted tool holder according to Jeff Wright's design. I'll add places for chucks and other paraphernalia. I want these as close as practical to the center of the lathe, but avoiding some of the most direct flight-path of shavings.

Which is to say, if you have a set-up you are happy with, can you post a photo of your lathe work area?

Thanks,

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I use to have it behind the lathe in a homemade lazy susan rig. Then found a rolling rack at a symposium and have most in it on the tailstock end.

3. I use a rolling cabinet with drawers, that I built from the crate from my former G0698 lathe and some pieces of scrap birch plywood I had on hand from some cabinet builds I had done previously. I was more interested in functionality and utilizing what was on hand than pure asthetics, so all the grain does not match.

The flat top surface holds my grinder and Wolverine jig.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-30-2016 at 7:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, where is it in reference to the lathe.

I have a rolling turning cart that is located behind me when I am standing at the lathe. The drawers face away from the lathe to minimize catching curlies if I leave them open and my 2 turning tool racks are mounted on the back and one end of the cart. I can turn from the lathe, see and place or take a lathe tool.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My tools are in drawers at the headstock end and perpendicular to the lathe. When standing in front of the head stock they are an arms length to my left.

Brian I think that you will like having a free-standing lathe. When I'm hollowing, I like being able to work from the other side of my lathe. This allows me to hold the tools with my arms tucked in rather than having my arms reaching outwards for hollowing.

I put my tool holder at the tailstock end of my lathe. I intended to mount the holder to the end of my lathe, but after six months, it is still resting on the floor. Maybe I need to turn a "round-tuit".

I also have a plywood tray that I place on the bed to hold a few tools that I am in the process of using, if I am switching back and forth.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Roger, where is it in reference to the lathe.
    At my back when I am facing the lathe. I have to turn around and take 2 steps to get to it, but believe me, in my tiny shop, space for all my equipment is premium, and this is the best arrangement for my situation, due to where I have to put my tool chest at the tailstock end of the lathe, and have a dust collector in the other corner at the headstock of the lathe. I would not mind having it at the tailstock end, but then my tool chest is too high to locate it elsewhere in the shop, so .......
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I some times have to dig mine out from under a pile of shavings. They sit on two shelves just over my right shoulder as I turn...... Scrapers up top, gouges down below. Well that is how they start the day...

robo hippy

This is what I did, also to the left of the headstock I have a rolling cabinet which I built that holds my grinder and buffer on top and the drawers are filled with my hollowing bars and many other turning related tools, + pen supplies etc. etc.

http://woodturnersunlimited.com/inde...e-tool-cabinet

This is the lathe in my third and final shop. The lathe is in a corner with the bed at 30-32" from the back wall. Close enough so lighting and dust collection can be mounted on the wall but still enough room to get behind if needed. My most used tools are in a rack at the tailstock end, chucks and lesser used items in the bottom cabinet to the left of the lathe. The upper left cabinet keeps other tools both out of the chips and close by. The tools in that cabinet took up about 24' of wall space in my previous shop and were constantly covered in chips.

Air and vacuum come down in the column over the headstock which has worked out real well, and those machines sit in a different part of the building completely out of the dust and debris.

I won't be putting any storage under the lathe, debris removal is so much easier.

We all tend to get used to and like what we end up with. I think one universal design element might be to avoid putting anything behind the lathe that you may be tempted to reach for while the lathe is running.

Good luck with the new space, look forward to seeing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We all tend to get used to and like what we end up with. I think one universal design element might be to avoid putting anything behind the lathe that you may be tempted to reach for while the lathe is running.
    Brian, I like my lathes against the wall where I keep things I reach for often. This works well for me since I primarily like turning smaller things from dry wood, have no desire to hollow big forms, and there are enough people turning big green wood. When I turn something where being on the other side of the lathe would help for access or visibility, I just flip the switch and turn in reverse.

Besides the tools on the wall to the right, I have a cabinet and machinists tool chest just to the right of that for centers, saws, card scrapers, chucks, and more. Behind me, in the center of the turning nook, is a 5' work bench with another tool rack, shelves, and drawers for drawing and measuring instruments. Just beyond that is a second lathe (also in front of a wall) next to a tall cabinet with accessories. Special use tools that are seldom used are elsewhere. An 8' long stainless steel sharpening bench is a few steps away. Bandsaw, drill press, and water cooler are very close. A vacuum hose on the DC makes cleanup easy. When the weather is nice, double doors open out to look on the llama pasture. Life is good.

This space is great for small classes of up to 4 or 5 people.

As Hayes said, we like what we get used to. I am used to this arrangement and it is very efficient for me. I also quickly got used to the central heat and air. :-)

Having tools and sandpaper on the wall behind the lathe has suited me perfectly for almost 15 years now. I certainly don't recommend this configuration to anyone who in a weak moment might reach across spinning work. Not smart.

The second picture shows better some of the things I keep within reach.

lathe_PM_IMG_20160331_18501.jpg PM3520b_IMG_20160323_122528.jpg

Dust and curlies on the tools is not an issue. Occasionally I get chips on the little shelf behind the lathe but I installed compressed air outlets and hoses within reach where needed.

JKJ

Brian, I have a tool cabinet from Harbor Freight. It's the black model with 4 drawers. I mounted a tool holder on the opened lid. It holds my go to tools. The drawers hold various accessories. The tool cabinet is at the tailstock end of my lathe at a 90 degree angle. I can reach any of the tools in it without moving. I have my chucks and accessories(live center, drill chuck, various drive centers and the knockout bar)on two brackets the I have on the gallon the headstock end of my lathe. Also my vacuum pump is on this wall. This setup works well for me.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I some times have to dig mine out from under a pile of shavings. They sit on two shelves just over my right shoulder as I turn...... Scrapers up top, gouges down below. Well that is how they start the day...

robo hippy
    If you are Robo Hippy, who needs anything but the scrapers?

You had me at Llama Pasture

I have an imaginary Alpaca Ranch and an imaginary stand where I sell the Imaginary Alpaca Eggs. It's my happy place. So having an actual Llama Pasture sounds heavenly