Thread: Staked Maple Stool

Staked Maple Stool

Got around to making a simple staked stool after reading the Anarchist's Design Book. The tapered tenon was a little more involved than a normal tenon since you had to rough shape first, but the mortise was much faster as it was just drill and ream, especially in hard maple.
    IMG_7122.jpg
    IMG_7131.jpg

With the angles, was a little hard to get the top of the mortise clean and the exact shape of the tenon, any tips?
    IMG_7124.jpg
    IMG_7129.jpg

Dry fit.
    13321895_10101063649035649_8397876824275087286_n.jpg

I like it. Kinda reminds me of the old type of saw horses ,but makes a nice modern table too. As for your complaint on the mortises ,I think it's just the contrast between perfectly acceptable work and modern furniture surface perfection. With a hand planed top I don't think you would find fault with the leg joints.

Blog Entries
    Nice Zuye,

I made my legs upside down from yours. The tops are narrower and the bottoms wider. I did mine in a hurried class so my joinery isn't very good. Hope to finish another soon, not decided on how I will make the legs..

Blog Entries
    Very nice Zuye.

I am curious how you do the chamfers. Do you have any work in progress images to share?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, forgot to take photos except for the dry fit since it was a pretty quick build.

The chamfers on the bottom of the seat were done with a pairing chisel (perpendicular or angled to the grain) and block plane (with the grain) after scribing with a marking gauge.

The large stopped chamfer on the top of the seat was done with a No 65 Kunz spokeshave. I got a "deal" on a set of Kunz and read about the 65 on a Chris Schwarz post a while ago, it gets the job done but it is not a pretty tool nor that functional out of the box.

Wow. Very sleek and angular.

I'm pretty terrible at describing things / putting impressions into words, but... If your stool were an animal, it would make for a pretty convincing cat.

...at least in my mind/eyes. If that doesn't make any sense, don't worry

The bevels/shaping are quite nice - very clean. That takes a considerable degree of control with your tools, in my experience.

Blog Entries
    ...at least in my mind/eyes. If that doesn't make any sense, don't worry
    As a lover of cats it makes perfect sense to me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Zuye,

I don't have the book yet. Would you mind sharing some of the rough dimensions and the stock thickness used?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Zuye,

I don't have the book yet. Would you mind sharing some of the rough dimensions and the stock thickness used?
    Didn't use the dimensions from the book, this was actually from an offcut so dimensions were based on that (8.5"W x 22"L x 19"H). The book mentions that you need around 8/4 for the seat (or w/e you are staking into) for proper strength.

Zuye,

Thanks for the dimensions, that helps.

Interestingly, I would like to build the stool for a cat that needs to get up and down a little easier. Unfortunately, my best stock right now is more on the order of 5/4. So I may want to wait till the winter to build a more traditional Moravian stool.

Blog Entries
    Kevin further along in the book Schwarz makes other staked furniture, like tables. Not wanting to build an entire table with 8/4, he glues wood to the table top where he wants thicker areas to support the legs. I am guessing you could go thinner for a cat stool. The 8/4 stool is built strong enough to stand on or support heavy projects.

Zuye, very cool. As an aside, I like your tool cabinet!

Mike, that's a good point. I think I may try and just knock out a quick all SYP one for the cat to use.

I know that it won't be for adult use, but I need to get a Windsor out of the kitchen. It's in the way and I'm tired of working around it (the Windsor chair) to spoil an already spoiled cat.

Unfortunately, this project would be about #10 on my "to do-list" and I never make the headway I would like to make.

Nice! And that looks a lot more comfortable than the "guest chair" in my office (i.e. the ADB sawbench, no chamfers).