Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting a LOT of white trim (or: "Should I buy an airless sprayer for home use?")

Painting a LOT of white trim (or: "Should I buy an airless sprayer for home use?")

I'm getting ready to put a house on the market, and after 8 years of living here, the white trim and interior doors all could use a coat of paint to cover the various scuffs and scrapes. I'm sure that the pros don't spend hours laying on the floor, scooting across the floor on their sides, while awkwardly holding a paint brush. I assume they mask and spray.

So...I'm young and enjoy home improvement. I'm sure this won't be anywhere near the last bit of painting I do. Would it be worthwhile to buy an airless sprayer and learn to use it? (I realize I'm talking kilo-bucks, here, for a quality unit - compared to how much I hate painting, I think it might be worthwhile).

Or should I hire it done? Is spraying indoors a non-DIY task?

Choices are too limited ,so I'm adding another one. Let the new owner do it ...or have a choice of colors. Lot of buyers would rather have trim and walls same color ,especially in modern non symmetrical rooms. What I would buy is a bottle of spray cleaner.

Airless sprayers are like other types of sprayers. It's hard to do good work with a cheap one, and easy with a good one. The "easy" part, mentioned in the previous sentence only comes with an experienced hand. So, like any other kind of spraying, there is no substitute for experience, and that experience comes from screwing things up sometimes. Screwing a paint job up can be done REALLY FAST with an airless sprayer....especially a house that's lived in with furniture in it.

Blog Entries
    Helping my son flip a home last summer, we split the cost of a Graco X5, under $300 total. It uses the same gun as the more expensive Gracos, it just doesn't have the capacity for a 5 gallon pail or a pump for really big nozzles or hundreds of gallons per year. The 12" wide bifolds took one vertical pass with a standard nozzle pumping right out of a one gallon bucket, about 5 seconds per pass. Stood them up in the garage with a drywall screw protruding an inch in the bottom and a short stick nailed to the top to keep them zig-zagged at 90 degrees. Painted all the new trim while on a sawhorse. Then I did all the wainscoting in the basement. I have had some spraying experience, but I am certainly no pro. You are putting on a lot of paint very quickly so you need to keep the gun moving, starting before you hit the door and stopping after you pass the edge. Keep a brush handy to catch any drips or runs. Check out YouTube for the "Idaho Painter" for tips.

I wanted to paint the interior walls and ceilings as the house was empty, but his fiancee was really uncomfortable with the concept of spraying inside and insisted on doing all of that work with a brush and roller. I was able to talk her into the basement wainscoting as she was getting tired of painting by then.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-30-2016 at 11:07 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

For stuff you can take out into the shop, like doors, spray is a good idea. For stuff you can't move, like casings and jambs and baseboard and crown, a brush isn't bad. You spend more time and trouble masking than just getting on with painting the stuff. Painting is a big job, and there isn't really a way to do it quickly. if you can get over that expectation, you'll do a better (and less-stressful) job.

I found that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does a pretty good job of getting rid of scuffs and other marks where the underlying paint isn't damaged. Perhaps give that a shot first and see if it gets you something that looks good enough to sell. I use it on baseboards for vacuum cleaner scuffs, and on door edges and switchplate covers to remove handprints.

Matt

My experience spraying indoors was that about half the paint ended up on the floor or ceiling or wherever I didn't want it, creating much more cleanup time than any I saved if I had hand painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I'm sure that the pros don't spend hours laying on the floor, scooting across the floor on their sides, while awkwardly holding a paint brush.
    That IS what the pro's would do. One mans opinion, but I can paint trim faster than I can mask for spraying.

I thought about buying an airless sprayer but didn't have a lot to paint. I used my gravity HVLP gun with a large tip (2.0mm) and painted in the driveway with a drop cloth. It didn't take a lot of setup and the sprayer worked well - gave a better finish than a brush. Or better than I can do with a brush.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Nossen View Post
    That IS what the pro's would do. One mans opinion, but I can paint trim faster than I can mask for spraying.

Jay has it. Very rarely did I ever use an airless in an occupied house. I can mask quickly, but you have to cover EVERYTHING. Also, interior trim is not the best medium for learning to use an airless sprayer. There are a LOT of potential pitfalls, that you only really overcome through experience. And you know how you get experience...

Get a mini soft-woven roller (1/2" or thicker nap) to apply the paint quickly and evenly, then back-brush immediately. De-fuzz the roller with tape before you use it (wrap the whole nap with masking tape and pull it off). Use a high-quality acrylic ENAMEL, and lay it on heavy--run the risk of runs (get a feel for it so that you don't actually get runs, though). You want to give it time to self-level before it dries.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I agree with Jason. The prep to spray would be "over the top" and a quality paint combined with fluid application wins every time. I don't paint often (thankfully!) but I carefully observed the pros who did the work for our major addition a number of years ago and learned a lot, including how to avoid masking at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One thing that's been missing from this discussion from what I could tell, is the cost difference between airless (whether air-assisted or not) and HVLP (turbine or compressor-driven) spray systems. Expect to pay three times the amount for the former family of sprayers, which here in Canads is in the $3,500 ballpark range for the airless systems.

I won't bother discussing the root question, that is, spraying vrs hand-application, as that's been well addressed above.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

I am certainly not a pro painter, but I do have several rentals which I have painted both ways. I used to have a nice pro airless, but when it took a dump in the middle of spraying eaves, I switched to my backup sprayer, and it finished the job just fine. A little slower, but fine for my needs.

My backup was/is a Wagner Paint Crew. I only paid $100 for a factory reconditioned unit. I have had good luck painting a couple thousand feet of base and crown on sawhorses before installing. It also works really well on painted doors. I put screws in the tops and bottoms, and hang them between two sawhorses...paint and flip. I like a #13 tip for this type work.

I suppose you could use an HVLP (I have one), but this is what a small airless excels at. I only use my HVLP for varnish on cabinetry.

I never spray inside unless it is completely masked. I made the mistake of allowing a rental management company fix up a rental last year. It took days of work getting overspray off ceiling fans, windows, fixtures, etc.

My two cents.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Schlosser View Post
    One thing that's been missing from this discussion from what I could tell, is the cost difference between airless (whether air-assisted or not) and HVLP (turbine or compressor-driven) spray systems. Expect to pay three times the amount for the former family of sprayers, which here in Canads is in the $3,500 ballpark range for the airless systems.

I won't bother discussing the root question, that is, spraying vs hand-application, as that's been well addressed above.
    I'm telling ya, that Graco X5 at $300 puts down paint as well as any pro rig I have ever rented. But as to the original question, best to stick to brush and roller for a novice especially if the house is not empty. But use a good self leveling paint like Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel.
    NOW you tell me...

Good info - thanks, all. I might look into something like a Graco for spraying doors (after taking them outside), but guess I'll resign myself to brushing the trim.