Thread: My first live edge bowl.

This is my first attempt at a live edge. It had my nerves fried watching the sharp burl edge so close to my hands. I am a bit of a klutz so I imagined that stitches would be a likely possibility. But no, I took it slow and made it through with all my blood where its supposed to be.

I had trouble with the edges. I couldn't see the tallest points so they ended up thicker than the rest, and while trying to even them out I let the lower portions get too thin. Maybe a different backdrop might help? Anyhow, some c+c would be nice. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave B West; 05-31-2016 at 12:07 AM.

Congrats, Dave, pretty nice! Looking forward to answers to your edges questions. I've been stumped by the same problem in much less impressive attempts.

3. Super nice figure in the grain on that piece. A good lighting source is crucial to making these types of bowls. Without a good light source, it is hard to see the ghost image......also, a good background for contrast. Pretty good for a first!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Excellent first NEB. Beautiful piece of wood. You asked for C&C and my suggestion would be to provide a bit more curve into the bowl bottom. That doesn't take away from a job very well done though.

Doug

To help see the edges as you turn, some times a piece of white or other contrasting colored paper on the lathe bed and up against the headstock can help. I also turn off the lathe many more times when doing NE pieces. Do hand spin the piece before turning the lathe on, and remember to keep your fingers on your side of the tool rest at ALL times, and never on the wood's side...

robo hippy

Nice job Dave. The only thing I don't care for is the inside bottom transition. I like a little more curve at that point. Maybe it's just the picture or maybe just the grain pattern but it looks almost like two straight lines coming together. Sweet figure....nice piece of timber. If you don't like it that much, you could always send it over to my house!!!!!
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Nice work!

Beautiful wood! What kind of burl is it?

Live edge bowls really test your ability to turn to uniform thickness. In a solid rimmed form, if the rim is a little thicker or thinner than the walls, no one may ever notice. But with live edge, the topography of the edge is like a disection that shows your sins in all their glory.

Doesn't look like you need much help if that's your FIRST one. Looking forward to more. In the spirit of constructive criticism, I too like the walls to flow into the base without an abrupt transition. I also think this form might have benefited from an even smaller foot. But that's nitpicking and just my aesthetic.

I'd say you did great!! Natural edge bowls are always challenging.
    Beautiful grain in that piece.

Thanks everyone. This is big leaf maple burl. Looking at the pictures i agree that the transition is abrupt. I believe i got in a bit of a hurry to finish. The bottom doesn't match from inside to out.

While I agree with the comments about the transition to the bottom, I kind of like it for the shape of your bowl. I did a bowl with that sharp transition a few years back. Great job for a natural edge. They are fun and you will get lots of comments from friends who have not seen anything like that. For me following the edge while skipping in and out of the wood/air is as much muscle memory and feel as it is sight. I think a contrasting background and a strong single point light source helps, but if you can visualize the tool path you want to follow and repeat it in small steps it helps get past the areas where there just isn't enough wood to see the ghost fly by. Now I should admit that my dad was blind, and I learned to do many things by feel that others might need to see. He also taught me that sticking a tool directly into a spinning square piece of wood can throw it through the basement window. Be careful and keep your fingers on the safe side of the tool rest.

Doesn't look like you need much help if that's your FIRST one.

I have turned several flat rimmed bowls but what has helped me the most is the youtube videos that all the experienced turners upload. Thus hobby truly has sucked me in to where if I am not practicing myself i am watching youtubers like Robo Hippy and taking it all in. I appreciate all of you that want to share what you do and help everyone to excel.

Great job on the turning and the piece of wood. It looks really good to me. I know several have made comments about the transition at the bottom of the bowl but I like it. I think it looks really good with the live edge.

I think you did a great job. I haven't attempted a LE yet. I would be very happy if it came out as nice as yours.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Nice job Dave. First attempts at live edge bowls are always nerve wracking. Keep up the good work.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.