Thread: Shelf-life of General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish

Shelf-life of General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish

How long does this stuff last if the shop temp stays above freezing?

I've used this finish for a few years and have lost a couple of partial cans. I haven't paid too much attention to how long before the finish skims over, but I would venture to guess it's right around a year. I've opted to go with the pint cans most of the time now, mostly because I don't seem to be able to turn as often as I would like to. Other than for daily use bowls, I really like this finish. Hopefully someone that uses it more often will chime in for better info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Straw View Post
    How long does this stuff last if the shop temp stays above freezing?
    Hi Jamie, I have a can about two years old that I just used this weekend. Seemed to be the same as when I got it. Do you have an older can sitting around or thinking of purchasing?

Doug

If you're concerned about the shelf life of your finishes, you might want to order a few of these bags.

I've been using them for a while, and they do seem to preserve what's in them very well.

http://www.stoplossbags.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Hi Jamie, I have a can about two years old that I just used this weekend. Seemed to be the same as when I got it. Do you have an older can sitting around or thinking of purchasing?

Doug
    Getting ready to order. Bowls aren't going to be a big thing with me in the near future, but seems the GF Bowl Finish is what people go to if the item is going to someone else (for food). I have a history of over-buying finishes, and just purged a bunch of stuff. Your report is good news, if I can get 18-24 months, I'll get a quart. Want to check out Steve's Stoploss bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arnold View Post
    If you're concerned about the shelf life of your finishes, you might want to order a few of these bags.

I've been using them for a while, and they do seem to preserve what's in them very well.

http://www.stoplossbags.com
    Wow, those are cool! My previous experience with that type of bag involved airlift, hospitals and pain, this looks like more fun. Seriously, though, looks like it's well worth the modest price. Clever, that specialized funnel. Question for you (or anyone): Do you think it would help with shellac? That's the one that's always been the most short-lived, but I can't remember exactly what it is that makes it go bad.

I've never heard of these bags, thanks for the info & link, Steve.

I had a friend who maybe 15 plus years ago was using the plastic liners from wine boxes for his finishes. Keeping the oxygen out helps keep the finish fresh. There was a product called 'Bloxygen' some years ago that was some inert gas and would work the same way. Also, putting in marbles till the can was full to the rim again worked. I don't use that type of finish any more though.

robo hippy

I use a can in 2 to 3 months and until I purchased one of the clear plastic qt containers from woodcrafter I would lost the bottom inch or so when the oil would gel. Now i get down to the bottom and add the new can. I also have been have problems opening the cans lately. They are really cheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Martin View Post
    I've never heard of these bags, thanks for the info & link, Steve.
    My pleasure Roland. If you decide to try them, I think you'll be as pleased as I've been.

The key is to bleed as much air out of them as possible and then store them flat so that the liquid is in constant contact with the screw top.

By the way, I have absolutely no affiliation with the company that manufactures or distributes these bags. I'm just a very happy customer that wants to spread the word.

I've had good luck storing finish cans upside down. If it sits long enough to film over, the film is on the bottom. Makes it easier to stir as well. Just make sure the lid is tight...