Thread: Talcum Powder Fiasco

Talcum Powder Fiasco

I keep seeing advertisements from law firms and reading stories about the talcum powder fiasco that causes cancer and they have known about it for decades. So here's the questions, why is the product still for sale if it's so dangerous it causes death. Is this yet another overblown drama or is baby powder on the way out? Barbers beware.

It is like the table saws Lawyers wanting a big pay off

Interesting reading: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...der-and-cancer

For me, talcum powder in purified form seems to be safe. Use your judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    , why is the product still for sale if it's so dangerous it causes death..
    Is it commonly available? I haven't looked for genuine talcum powder recently, but when I looked years ago, all the "baby powders" were based on corn starch, not talc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Is it commonly available? I haven't looked for genuine talcum powder recently, but when I looked years ago, all the "baby powders" were based on corn starch, not talc.
    You can still buy pure talc. I got some from Amazon on recommendation from Robland to treat the cast iron on their sliding table. I had to look for billiards supplies:

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Cup-Pre.../dp/B005U4A9KW

JKJ

According to the MSDS and as reported by the Department of Health and Human Services, J&J's baby powder is still talc.

We live in a crazy convoluted world where mountains are made out of mole hills and things are distorted beyond recognition only to be reported as truth or normal. Often the distortions are viewed by people who make decisions based on emotion and not on logic.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It's human nature Ken. People spoil everything
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

It is still for sale because every test shows it to be harmless. But juries feel sorry for the ill, so they give them millions.

My favorite are the lawsuits against blood thinners because they cause internal bleeding. Well, yeah...

My wife put the kabosh on real talcum powder when she heard all this stuff. Maybe it's not backed by science, maybe it is, or maybe the truth is in the middle but I won't push back on her about it. Choose your battles, as they say.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    My wife put the kabosh on real talcum powder when she heard all this stuff. Maybe it's not backed by science, maybe it is, or maybe the truth is in the middle but I won't push back on her about it. Choose your battles, as they say.

Erik
    Smart. Your gonna live a long happy life
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

According to the State of California, it seems that everything man made causes cancer. Manufacturers and producers are required by law to cry "wolf" on everything they make. How useful!

Listen to The Eagles singing "Get Over It". Says it all, I reckon. Cheers

Aren't the (supposed) issues with talcum power and Johnson's baby powder mostly in women who used it on their private parts regularly?

I suspect it depends on the 'juicyness' of the target, unfortunately. It's easier to convince a jury that an 'evil multinational megacorporation' is guilty and the payout bigger.