Thread: Mirka USA Inc. recalls Compact Electric Random Orbital Sanders (CEROS)

Mirka USA Inc. recalls Compact Electric Random Orbital Sanders (CEROS)

This link takes you to a Canadian Government site which has the details of the recall. I'm sure the USA and other governments have similar sites.

A short cut and paste from the link follows - full details at the link:

This recall involves various models of compact electric random orbital sanders (CEROS). Specifically, the following models: CEROS 325 which has a 77 mm (3-inch) diameter and a 2.5 mm orbit, CEROS 550 which has a 125 mm (5-inch) diameter and a 5 mm orbit; and CEROS 650 which has a 150 mm (6-inch) diameter and a 5 mm orbit.

The sanders are yellow and black with the Mirka logo on the front. The model names are on a white sticker on the back of the sander housing beneath the hand grip. Serial numbers are engraved on the side of the sander housing just above the dust shroud. The products are certified by Intertek (ETL) under file number 4006707.

UNQUOTE

Seems like the third time this has happened. Any Ceros owners here experience sparks emanating from theirs?

Only from how much faster I sand and increased priofit.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Seems like the third time this has happened. Any Ceros owners here experience sparks emanating from theirs?
    According to the link above, there have only been two instances.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Only from how much faster I sand and increased priofit.

That's pretty funny, and I agree. I looked for a serial number on all of mine, they're worn off. I switched the shop over from Dynabrades to the Mirka's early last year, if they all dropped dead tomorrow they still would've been an excellent purchase.

The Ceros has been discontinued. If you send yours in you will likely get a Deros in return. Not a chance in heck I'm returning mine for a warranty repair until it bursts into flames.

Mine isn't in the serial number range anyway.
    Last edited by Leo Graywacz; 05-31-2016 at 7:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    The Ceros has been discontinued. If you send yours in you will likely get a Deros in return. Not a chance in heck I'm returning mine for a warranty repair until it bursts into flames.

Mine isn't in the serial number range anyway.
    Why it's it every time I find a tool I like, it's discontinued, and I'm not interested in the replacement? The Deros seems more clumsy than I'm interested in, but to be fair I haven't used one.

The ceros is still on Mirka's website?

Surfprep is suppose to be adding DC to their 5 and 6 inch electric RO's. My rep says the surfprep's are killer just waiting for the DC.

The Ceros isn't on the website anymore.

And I have used the Deros. When my Ceros was in for repair I borrowed the Deros from my supplier. It's a nice machine, has a bit more power then the Ceros, but it's bigger. The reason I got the Ceros is it's a direct replacement for a Dynabrade air sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    The Ceros isn't on the website anymore.

And I have used the Deros. When my Ceros was in for repair I borrowed the Deros from my supplier. It's a nice machine, has a bit more power then the Ceros, but it's bigger. The reason I got the Ceros is it's a direct replacement for a Dynabrade air sander.
    Weird, I still see it on there on mobile, but not on the computer.

I kinda worried the Deros was a bit more bulky. I too bought the Ceros to use in place of the Dynabrade. For some things, I still prefer the pneumatic, bit not for much. The Ceros cuts faster, leaves as good of a scratch, and doesn't require a metric ton of juice running a compressor balls to the wall all the time.

Had a friend email them and they said it was taken off the site about 2 months ago. He was also the one who told me a warranty repair would result in the Ceros being replaced by the Deros. That's totally unacceptable to me.