Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freights 12-inch-x-33-3-8 -vs- JWL-1221VS

Question Harbor Freights 12-inch-x-33-3-8 -vs- JWL-1221VS

I'd like to get y'alls opinion on the HarborFreights 12-inch-x-33-3-8" lathe -vs-
    JWL-1221VS 12'' x 21'' Variable Speed Wood Lathe

I know that the Jet lathe has a better digital speed control, but Harbor Freight's has a pivotal head for out-board turning, as well as a longer bed, and comes with the stand.

So, question is, is the Harbor Freight lathe comparable to the jet lathe....?
    Anything worth doing that requires cutting down a tree, deserves doing it right the first time.

the Jet lathe comparable to the HF lathe is the JWL-1236, NOT the 1221.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    the Jet lathe comparable to the HF lathe is the JWL-1236, NOT the 1221.

I'm looking at buying the JWL-1221VS 12'' x 21'' Variable Speed Wood Lathe and it's kinda pricey. It's going to be my first purchased lathe. I'm looking at the cost of the two -vs- their durability, reliability, and performance. That's what I'm asking about.

Are Harbor Freight machines reliable?
    Anything worth doing that requires cutting down a tree, deserves doing it right the first time.

4. Either the Jet JWL 1236, or the Harbor Freight clone of it is basically a spindle lathe. Both are 12" swing and 36" between centers. The low end speed is too high for an out of balance blank, at 600 rpm, and will walk across the floor on you unless you weigh them down with sand bags or some type of ballast. My neighbor has the Jet 1236, and basically turns a pen or two once in a while.

The Jet 1221 Vs is one of the better midi lathes on the market, but it has Variable speed, reversing and can turn a bowl almost 12" diameter. IF you get your wood blank round prior to mounting on the lathe, then the Jet 1236 or its HF clone can also turn nearly 12" but they have underpowered motors for much of that type work........1/2 hp or 3/4 hp is just a weak setup, but mostly spindle work will do fine on either. If reliability is of concern, then get the Jet, as it has a 5 year warranty.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-31-2016 at 8:38 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Well Mr. George, the first business at hand is to decide what you have planned for your lathe. If you're looking at turning larger, more heavy projects, the hf lathe has the capabilities to handle some weight, but not great big projects. I can't speak for the Jet, I have no Idea. In terms of speed & durability, you get what you pay for at hf. You have the option of buying their replacement plan. A good investment with ANY hf tool! I've owned two hf lathes, and have had good luck with them. The price is right for a hobbyist, or beginner, & they're easy to learn on. The 12" x 36" is a well built lathe. Cast iron bed, swing out tool rest, push out centers, & 10 speeds. My advice would be to find a turning club & get your eyes & hands on a lathe before making your final decision. Just my .02 worth.
    Sawdust703

George, since you are in Peru, I am guessing that you want to buy and have it shipped. While I haven't turned on a Harbor Freight lathe, walking through their store, their stuff is on the low quality end of the spectrum, the Jet is several steps up. The problem with small lathes, they can be used to turn bigger pieces, but not on a regular basis. They aren't made for taking much of that kind of stress. The Harbor Freight will work, but I would take the Jet.

robo hippy

I have had two friend who have bought Harbor Freight lathes and both took them back. They had trouble with the banjo and the tool rest. They are not the quality of the Jet. I have turned on the 12-21 and it is a nice lathe. Spend as much as you can afford. There is a big difference in the two. What do you plan on turning, what sizes do you want to turn. I would buy the Jet

Although the capability to do outboard turning would see to be a feature, I suspect that you would be disappointed and try it only once.
    I had a 9 inch lathe and when I first spun up an out-of-balance piece (which is what all chunks of wood start out as), it was a little intimidating going from zero to 950 RPMs. I know that the HF can go a bit slower, but with a 12 inch piece thrashing around, I think that it would be equally scary. Going outboard for even bigger turnings adds to the fright factor. A friend has a bigger HF lathe and he reports that it is underpowered. Trying to turn bigger things (like outboard) just exacerbates that deficiency.
    Having a continuously variable speed lathe is really nice.

George, I've used the 1221VS at local turning club event, and it's a very sturdy, well-made lathe. It has heavier bed rails than most midi-lathes and a stronger motor than my recently purchased Nova Comet II (which is also a 12" swing lathe). Looks like it has a lower bottom-end speed range also, which is pretty important. If you cut your bowl blanks to be as balanced as possible and don't go for anything too heavy, you can turn bowls on it. I've tried two on the less-powered comet (7" and 8" maple) and they've gone just fine. A 10" Madrone bowl, however, was too much -- big bowl of heavy, hard wood. I would hesitate to buy any Harbor Freight tool if I could avoid it, especially if you're not within driving distance of a store.

I can't speak to the Jet lathe, but I use the HF lathe (item 34706) and it's a great value for the price. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's as good quality as other brands (I seriously doubt it is), but you can't get a better machine at the same price point (at least not new). I've been using the 34706 for about two years and I learned on it, so it's taken a pretty good pounding. I've had to replace the belt (cheap easy job) and I've had a bunch of tiny little issues that don't really matter much (e.g. the handle that tightens the tool rest attaches to a bolt with a cap that rounded off -- I just replaced it with a wrench). Bottom line, it's a great starter machine at a good price, but eventually you'll probably want to upgrade (though that's gonna be true anyway unless you start off with a $6000 machine).

Regarding the outboard feature, I have never used it and don't intend to. As noted above, you'd need to weight the lathe down very well and the minimum speed on the lathe is a bit too fast for anything larger than it's over-the-bed swing unless you are using very well-balanced blanks. In addition, the tool rest extension that is supposed to allow you to reach the piece in such configurations is... well, crap. It allows too much flex and just doesn't work well. Most folks take it off completely and put the tool rest directly in the banjo.

I love HF. I buy lots of small, replaceable tools that I don't want to look for. Overwhelmingly, they are hand tools, but I use their drills for sanding on a lathe. I also use their hydraulic tables, and buy them on super-sale days. The point is that they are replaceable and didn't cost much. When you go to stationary, motorized tools, however, you really only get what you pay for. Shipping is a major consideration in Lima. I would think that Jet or Powermatic would be available in South America. Perhaps Grizzly is as well. Consider service when you make your decision.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I have the HF lathe and have found it extremely adequate. However, I only turn bowls at about a 10" diameter. Anything over that and you're going to have problems. It has decent power and my next lathe will most likely be a big boy with 16" swing and a big price tag ($3000). However, I got this thing for $50 used and haven't looked back. (I'm not joking about the $50. A guy bought it and a set of tools. Tried to turn a 2x4 and gave up.)

I haven't turned much on the Jet lathe but I have once or twice and cant tell the difference. (other than the color)

If I was looking at getting something shipped I would instead look on Craigslist (or equivalent) and find something used. Lathes of decent quality are pretty durable and definitely something that I would look to buy used instead of paying shipping for new. Especially when I know that I would be looking at upgrading at a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Craven View Post
    I can't speak to the Jet lathe, but I use the HF lathe (item 34706) and it's a great value for the price. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's as good quality as other brands (I seriously doubt it is), but you can't get a better machine at the same price point (at least not new). I've been using the 34706 for about two years and I learned on it, so it's taken a pretty good pounding. I've had to replace the belt (cheap easy job) and I've had a bunch of tiny little issues that don't really matter much (e.g. the handle that tightens the tool rest attaches to a bolt with a cap that rounded off -- I just replaced it with a wrench). Bottom line, it's a great starter machine at a good price, but eventually you'll probably want to upgrade (though that's gonna be true anyway unless you start off with a $6000 machine).

Regarding the outboard feature, I have never used it and don't intend to. As noted above, you'd need to weight the lathe down very well and the minimum speed on the lathe is a bit too fast for anything larger than it's over-the-bed swing unless you are using very well-balanced blanks. In addition, the tool rest extension that is supposed to allow you to reach the piece in such configurations is... well, crap. It allows too much flex and just doesn't work well. Most folks take it off completely and put the tool rest directly in the banjo.
    I had a Jet1236, and used the outboard turning feature once.

once.

sold the lathe soon after that and bought a 1442, and have since upgraded to a Powermatic 3520.

George since you live in Peru I would be careful about buying a HF lathe. While they are not bad, but HF is not known for high quality and while you can return them easily I suspect that would be a little hard for you to do. So if I was you I would like at a brand that is a little more reliable like a Jet or one of the others. I remember you had some bad luck with a product recently that you had to get a new one shipped to you. Good luck with your purchase.

Another weak point on the HF lathe is the Reeves drive pulley. Leave it in on position and it can get stuck there. If you try to pry it it will just crumble. I do not know if any other Reeves drive pulleys are any better.