Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masculinity and Femininity

In this era of electronic lighting of water heaters, gas stoves, etc. there doesn't seem to be a need for lighting pilot lights. I'm with Jim and Mike. Respect goes a long way.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hear what you're sayin...

I've got four 20 sumthin guys working for me that are tuff as nails.

Walk like a bull dog? What in heaven's name does that mean? I've never heard that.

Seeing anybody walk like a bull dog is a little disconcerting.

What does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Walk like a bull dog? What in heaven's name does that mean? I've never heard that.

Seeing anybody walk like a bull dog is a little disconcerting.

What does it mean?
    I just smiled because time was limited. It was her comment, not mine. My guess is that females don't walk feminine any longer and that was her way of saying it. She also mentioned something about finishing school but I'm clueless about that comment.

I know one thing: A woman's place is in the home and that's where she should go right after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I just smiled because time was limited. It was her comment, not mine. My guess is that females don't walk feminine any longer and that was her way of saying it. She also mentioned something about finishing school but I'm clueless about that comment.
    Today, "finishing school" would mean graduating from high school or college. And many women (and men) do finish school.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm with the "Treat others as you would like to be treated crowd" but I did grow up in a household that followed the gender rules of woman's/man's work. My LOML and I share chores and do whatever chore is better-suited for our different abilities. My Sweetheart has airborne allergies so while we both can and do use the weed whacker, I insist on doing that chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    A lot of the fun of riding a bike came from having a girl on back holding on tight to you as you drove.
    Now the girls drive faster bikes than the boys.....

The whole universe is upside down ...

((sigh)) - I'm glad I'm old and going to die soon..
    A lot of fun of riding a bike could also be having your arms wrapped around an hourglass figure and holding on tight. Most people will look at a naked man and laugh while most people will appreciate the beauty of a naked woman. .... So.... what would you rather look at on a fast bike ... the back side of a man in leathers, or the back side of a woman in leathers? You might want to check that view out before you die.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I guess I have to be a contrarian...why does it matter? Let each individual be themselves and not try to enforce stereotypes. What's more important is respect and that includes the concept of "treat others the way you want them to treat you". That's how I try to live my life and what I try to instill in my kids. I'm not concerned in the least about things like "masculinity" and "femininity"...I worry more right now about the loss of respect, empathy and kindness that's way too over the top right now both publicly and privately.
    Well said.

what would you rather look at on a fast bike ... the back side of a man in leathers, or the back side of a woman in leathers
    I see your point - - -however...
    having a girl on back was pretty much the only good reason for putting on the brakes! .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Think about what we are here on SMC. Neanders, and that's weird by today's roles. Be look to the past for some of our skills. Others look to the future. This is a good thing. It's like Captain Kirk say's "young minds, fresh ideas, Spock".
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...I worry more right now about the loss of respect, empathy and kindness that's way too over the top right now both publicly and privately.
    Right on, Jim!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    . Do you folks think in the land of androgyny we are losing the best parts of manliness and womanliness?
    Hi Rich, actually I think the opposite.

We are less restrained by the imposed expectations of society today than we were previously. This has allowed us to lose some of the worst characteristics of males and females and be more natural in our interactions with society.

There were always men who didn't know how to build a brick wall, and that's a good thing as they knew other things equally valuable.

I don't think we're becoming more androgynous, I think we're becoming better rounded individuals who have a wider range of skills than would be previously expected of us............Regards, Rod.

Procedural knowledge/skill, a large part of gender roles, is becoming less relevant in the internet age anyways. If you're a man who doesn't know how to light a pilot light, you can learn extremely quickly and easily. Likewise, if you're a woman who doesn't know how to cook, you can learn that pretty easily as well (if you want to). And because of the availability of information, women can light pilot lights and men can cook, and I think that's great. People are more free to be themselves, pursue whatever interests them without worrying about norms, and perhaps in that "happier" context we can get back to focusing on true humanity - like Jim says, empathy, kindness, tolerance, etc.

But I understand the fondness with which many older/wisers look back. We will always lament the passing of the "good ol' days" - I'm in my mid-30s and do it already. There was something lovely about calling my friends on the landline and having to make pleasantries with their folks before speaking to them. And I'm sure the generation before me thought writing letters was swell. And the future generation will look back with fondness at text messages, soon to be a relic once teleportation, holographic messages, and instant thought transfers become possible.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more, Rod.

I'm with Jim and appreciate his post; a little more kindness, respect, and empathy could go a long way these days.

I do agree that there's been a certain loosening of gender expectations or norms over the past decade or two, but a lot of that's really only happening at the margins -- men are still men and women are still women -- and if a more accepting attitude overall allows people who are a bit different from us fit in, I don't see that as a bad thing.

I will say that a very positive development since I was a kid (a long, long time ago) is that young girls today are much tougher, physically, than they used to be, and I don't mean being butch in any sense, I mean that they don't feel physically fragile or afraid. Young boys, on the other hand... well, let's just say that the roles have reversed.