Thread: Mixing LED and fluorescent tubes okay?

Mixing LED and fluorescent tubes okay?

Hello all,
    I have a 4 tube fluorescent fixture that usually takes time to light. I almost always have to flick one of the switches off and on several times to get it to light. Can I replace 2 of the fluorescent tubes with LED ones so that I'll get 2 that fire immediately and then the 2 fluorescent ones come on whenever they do? I have no idea why that fixture behaves that way. I live in a warm humid climate so that may be a factor. So far the only problem I have read is the differing colors of the tubes not blending.

Thanks,
    Gene

I don't see any good reason to do what you're proposing. The slow start you're describing sounds like either a failing ballast or a non-instant start ballast. You can get LEDs that will light off a fluorescent ballast, but if the ballast is failing, you may toast the LEDs, too. LEDs don't necessarily light instantly anyway, so if the ballast is not an instant-start, they may not light instantly.

I would either replace the ballast with one that will light 4 T8 bulbs, or remove the ballast and put in LEDs that light off line voltage. So I vote no on the frankenlight.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I would agree with Jason that you have a ballast problem. I have 5, four foot 2 tube fluorescent lights in my shop and they all come on to full brightness as soon as turned on.

I mixed mine. I have a 1500 sq ft shop. I have six 8' flourescent and three 8' (two 4's each). Mine are on different circuits and different switches. I As far as the light I kind of like the mixture. The flourescent's are hard wired, however I had to wire outlets to the LEDs as these were added by me. In my old shop I had a similar issue with the flourescent's "heating" up, but the fixtures in this shop don't seem to have that problem. They were supplied by the electrician when I had the shop wired, but I don't know what kind they are. I just told him I wanted quality fixtures.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I like mixed lights but I would probably just replace the fixture. A new T5 fixture with HO bulbs puts out an incredible amount of light.

But do your fluorescents have separate starters? They are easily replaceable.

A long time ago I did a lot of wiring in a warm, humid climate (central Mexico at a children's camp) and the fluorescent fixtures there were a constant headache. Often it was poor contact due to corrosion so you might try cleaning the contacts and adding a dab of dielectric grease. I ended up, though, pulling all of the old fluorescent fixtures (about 50) and replacing them with incandescents. These days, I'd probably replace them with CFLs or LEDs if they were available in that region.

JKJ

While I recently changed most of my shop lighting to LED, there are still a few fluorescent tubes in use on the periphery (non-workspace). There are no real issues with this, although there is a clear color temp difference between my 4100K LED lighting and the older, T12 tubes of indeterminate and deteriorated color temp. I'll likely change these out at some point, too. I did use replacement "LED Tubes" in some fixtures in place of fluorescent, but the ballasts are still good. There are "LED tubes" available where you can re-wire the fixture to eliminate the old ballasts all together. These are less expensive, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all for the great info. Several searches on the web didn't turn up any info close to what you fine gentleman have provided.

8. "a 4 tube fluorescent fixture that usually takes time to light. I almost always have to flick one of the switches off and on several times to get it to light"
    This sounds like an old pre-heat fluorescent fixture, which has a starter for each lamp - these are visible from the outside as silver disks about 3/4" in diameter. If you don't see these starters, then you probably have a rapid start fixture with an older magnetic ballast. Some LED tubes may not work with this type of ballast. Given the age and condition of the ballast, I would be inclined to replace the fixture itself.

Newer fluorescent fixtures have electronic ballasts (either instant start or rapid start) and lamps in these fixtures will light up immediately, so it sounds like you do not have an electronic ballast.