Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue ups, I have glue ups...

They placed a drainage tube in the right side of the chest today......might be after Wednesday before they will let him go home.....

Harbor Freight today since it was on the way to the hospital....picked two 80 grit sanding belts.....$4.24 counting tax for the two. Maybe I'll give one of them a spin later....we'll see.

Antibiotics and Perkasecs going in, all kinds of junk coming out. Way too many tubes involved. Left side is cleared, right side is being...stubborn.

All sanded down. Brought it upstairs to await a rain-free day.
    rocker.jpg
    Remember, this is my first time ever to build a rocker. Finish will be that Witch's Brew I use on pine.....then maybe a few coats of Poly since this will sit on the back porch.

Test ride showed it has a bit too much lean back, but a nice, comfy seat. learned a lot, just in case i ever decide to build another one of these....

pups wanted to chew on a rocker on the chair...sooo, outside it went, along with a brush and the can of Witch's Brew.....there is a LOT of surface to coat on this thing, but

Drum roll, if you please...
    two rockers.jpg
    The white rocker was the pattern I was using, or teying to use. Added a few touches of my own...
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Not sure IF it will get a set of cushions right now. There is one coat on it so far, might need a few more.
    Again, this was my first attempt at building an adult sized rocking chair. It does look a wee bit better than the WalMart one beside it?

Steven,

Looks good!

One thought, I am sure your witches brew finish will do fine, but you might give a thought to spar varnish. Spar is one of the most weather resistant finishes around. In my view it is better than polyurethane, and other finishes.

Stew

We'll see what there is for this chair.....was NOT going to paint it. Thinking MAYBE using the spray version of the Spar varnish, as there are a LOT of places to cover.

I agree with Stew about Spar finish. We have a porch swing that I used it on that is nearing 12 years old and is on a covered porch year round. Its getting time for a recoat now, but it has held up very well.

I just used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane and applied with disposable brushes. You rocker looks great! Enjoy it.

Robby

Very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Steven,

Looks good!

One thought, I am sure your witches brew finish will do fine, but you might give a thought to spar varnish. Spar is one of the most weather resistant finishes around. In my view it is better than polyurethane, and other finishes.

Stew
    Marginally topical, but... Isn't most modern Spar Varnish just heavy-duty urethane varnish that's been optimized for UV resistance?

EDIT: A quick search shows that the higher-end ones use phenolic instead of urethane. Makes sense.

Spar Varnish is also "softer" than normal varnish. Allows it to flex without cracks forming. Sun heating it up, it expands. Then when things cool off, things shrink. Spar varnish can flex along with all of that...

nice work and hope and pray your son gets better...
    Jerry

As far as I can remember....The Witch's Brew is a quart can, that at one time held polyshades colonial maple in it. have since added about every leftover scraps of stain. There is also about a pint of BLO in there, and maybe 1/2 a pint of Poly Gloss. Stirred well, to mix things better. Lately, it takes about a day to fully dry......will scuff things up a bit, and add a second coat.....if the weather happens to warm up a bit. Supposed to get up near 90 this coming weekend. Might pick a quart of spar varnish and a few "chip" brushes up, too.

Meds for the lung infections is affecting his kidneys......he needs to drink a lot more than he is right now.....taste buds are all messed up, as well. Just being stubborn right now, both him and the Pnuemonia.. "sugar" was way up, too. They may have that taken back down...four doctors treating him.....maybe too many cooks?

Nothing new from the Hospital today......seem to be just letting the meds work.....

MIGHT try to put a second coat of the Brew on the rocker today, after a few yard sales are looked over. Suppose to be a few BIG sale saturday......

2nd coat of the brew is now on...
    front view.jpg
    Seems to have found a home out there
    back view.jpg
    Pine being...Pine..
    side view.jpg
    Not too bad a project?