Thread: Kitchen knife blanks

Kitchen knife blanks

It this the right place to ask - where would you look for premium but fairly prices knife blanks? I have a woodworking friend who is looking for a knife set and I want to show him this option.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I use Texas Knifemaker's Supply. http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

Jantz supply, Hock tools, Woodcraft
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Sometimes you can get lucky and find something worth a new handle at a thrift store or other junk shop. A little treasure hunting can sometimes pay off.

Ditto on the thrift store finds.

I'd also say that sometimes you'll find a Sabatier or Henkels with a chip or broken handle on ebay.
    Derek Cohen has a really great tutorial on how he rehabbed a few knives.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Herder knives--hugely underrated imho

I bought the hock knife blank. It is gr at but rusts the second it senses water. It requir a immediate cleaning and wiping. Eventually it may patina but initially, caveat emptor.

I forgot to mention--it you want a really great performing paring knife blank, I'd highly recommend Joe Calton at Calton Cutlery.
    He has a proprietary triple quench that results in some of the keenest, longest lasting edges that I've seen anywhere (including the Japanese ones).

It'll be maybe $10-15 more than the Hock blades, but be much better.

Woodcraft. Here's what you can get for $70: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/153...mm-x-18mm.aspx

KitchenKnife01.jpg
    They have other blanks and some combo sets. I am very happy with this knife and my wife was delighted. The scales are pear from a neighbor's tree finished with BLO. Rivets were included although that was not clear at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    I forgot to mention--it you want a really great performing paring knife blank, I'd highly recommend Joe Calton at Calton Cutlery.
    He has a proprietary triple quench that results in some of the keenest, longest lasting edges that I've seen anywhere (including the Japanese ones).

It'll be maybe $10-15 more than the Hock blades, but be much better.
    I didn't see any blanks on his site. Where are they located?

You'll have to email him. He doesn't generally sell it to the public, but he's a really nice guy.

You may have to wait a few months though. He makes and heat treats batches by hand.
    http://www.caltoncutlery.com/contact.html