Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Nova Voyager drill press

Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    total price with shipping was $1399 bought a Albrecht chuck b/c you know got it at a discount Lol .. warranty is 2 years on the electronics and 5 on every thing else

heres the main things that stand out to me every thing else just looks like normal dill press

User Set DepthThe “User Set Depth” feature allows the user to quickly set the drilling depth. This is essentially an electronic depth stop that willgive warning beeps when approaching the set depth and stop the motor when the depth has been reached.To activate the User Set Depth feature, simply select the feature in the menu and set a depth to drill. The drilling depth can beset using the / keys or Speed Dial. Pressing will reset the value to OFF. Press the button to savethe depth selection and return to the main screen, or press to cancel any changes.When the “User Set Depth” is activated, the current set depth will show on the main screen. When the feature is disabled, thevalue will be blank. When drilling to the set depth, the machine will start beeping at 0.5” (or 10mm in Metric mode), and thebeeping will become more rapid as the drill gets closer to the set depth. The motor will finally turn off once the set depth hasbeen reached and the machine will revert to idle.To turn off the “User Set Depth”, press the button followed by the button.XXX-XXXX-XXX17Self-Start

The “Self-Start” feature enables a one-handed drilling operation by automatically turning on and off the motor at predeterminedstart depths. The motor will start running at 0.29”/7mm and stop once it returns to 0.24”/6mm.For reference, the programming includes the following characteristics:a. After this feature has been turned on, the handle must be raised to the top of the quill stroke before the first"self-start" can begin.b. If the user is in the menu while the machine is idle, the self-start will not START, but it will STOP if the machineis running with the quill extended, the feature is activated, and the handle is raised to the stop point.c. By default, the safety feature including warning sounds and a delay before the motor self-starts is turned OFF.This setting can be accessed through the following menu path: Menu>Configuration>DrillSettings>Sounds/Warnings.

Advanced ModesPilot HoleThe “Pilot Hole” feature enables the user to skip the separate operation of drilling a pilot hole (in most cases) for locating alarger drill bit. Using this feature, the machine will begin drilling at a slower speed, and once the bit is seated and grabs enoughmaterial, the machine will sense this and ramp up to the set run speed. The machine determines this by sensing the load placedon the motor and responding when load threshold (this value is determined by the selected material) has been reached.To enable the “Pilot Hole” feature, simply toggle “Slow Start” to ON, set the start speed (250 by default), and selectOther/Metal/Wood. Metal will set the load threshold the highest, followed by Wood and then Other requires the smallestincrease in load to ramp up.IMPORTANT: Once the drill begins running after “Pilot Hole” is turned on, the display will first show “Pilot Initialize” at thebottom and then change to “Pilot Ready” when fully initialized. Allow the machine to reach the pilot speed and fully initializebefore drilling. If drilling begins prematurely, the load sensing will not calculate correctly, and the drill likely will not ramp up tofull speed at the appropriate time.

Tapping ModeThe tapping feature has two options for programmed cycles for tapping. Both modes require the user to manually feed the tap duringtapping and should only be used when starting the drill in the Forward direction.1. Load Sense – This mode will use the load sensor to determine when it has started tapping and enter a chip breaking cycle. Thiscycle uses the load sensor to determine when the drill needs to switch to reverse to chip break for a fixed amount of time, andthen returns to forward to tap again. This repeats until the drill press senses the tapping is complete via the load OR if the userpresses the button.NOTE: Recommended for through-hole tapping only.2. Chip Breaker – This mode will use the load sensor to determine when it has started tapping and enter a chip breaking cycle. Thiscycle uses a fixed amount of time before switching to reverse to chip break for a fixed amount of time, and then it returns toforward to tap again. This repeats until the drill press senses the tapping is complete via the load OR if the user presses the button.
    David, did you buy the Albrecht chuck with the integrated arbor or just the chuck? Was the arbor on the original chuck integrated or not? If not, what was the Jacobs taper, #3, #33 or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    David, did you buy the Albrecht chuck with the integrated arbor or just the chuck? Was the arbor on the original chuck integrated or not? If not, what was the Jacobs taper, #3, #33 or something else?
    both chucks have the arbor integrated its mt-2

both chucks have the arbor integrated its mt-2
    By chance recall the model number of the Albrecht chucks you went with? Been kicking around upgrading the Jacobs I put on my Delta 18-900L.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

CP130-2MT

bought it from enco on one of their 50% off days think i paid $240

CP130-2MT

bought it from enco on one of their 50% off days think i paid $240
    They have a 25% off sale today. How often do you see a 50% off sale there? I have time if it's more than once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    They have a 25% off sale today. How often do you see a 50% off sale there? I have time if it's more than once a year.
    it was before enco merged with msc so i assume it will never happen again.

Wow, it was $240 after 50% off?! Well then, dont think Ill be adding one of those to the tool collection anytime soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cowan View Post
    I actually JUST got one this weekend too. I'm doing a full video on it (unboxing, initial impressions) because I'm a YouTuber and that's what we do :-) But so far so good. The software is a bit clunky, but that's to be expected. The drill itself seems solid. The chuck has a bit of runout, but I think only around 0.0025, which is fine for a stock chuck. The quill itself is around 0.00025 or less, even when fully extended. More tests coming. But so far so good.
    Robert has a lucid and well-photographed review on his YouTube channel. I have never seen its equal in a product review. Thank you Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    Robert has a lucid and well-photographed review on his YouTube channel. I have never seen its equal in a product review. Thank you Robert.
    I had to watch it after that endorsement...it really is a good review. He gives the good and bad, presented really well.

A nice feature is that you can upgrade the software. The original was a bit clunky but the upgrade is much better.

I really like the ability to easily change speeds. With my older Jet, it was a pain to change the belt on pulleys and I only did it when really needed. Now, with a turn of the dial the speed is changed.

the proprietary electronics bothers me a little. If one of the boards goes bad in 10 years, that thing is going to be a boat anchor. Otherwise, it's really tempting

Yes, the board could go bad but the same goes for their lathes.

13. Boat anchor? All you have to do it replace the board.