Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nova Voyager drill press

waiting for freight company to call hopefully i will get it delivered tomorrow.

yup delivery tomorrow between 8 am and 5 pm largest delivery window i ever had lol

would love to see a your review of it.....i'm on the fence

Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    yup delivery tomorrow between 8 am and 5 pm largest delivery window i ever had lol
    They'll show up at 4:45. That's usually how it works for me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    They'll show up at 4:45. That's usually how it works for me.
    called at 4:30 arrived at 4:45 got it all together or so i thought then tragedy strikes once i noticed i just closed my garage door and walked inside every thing seems very well made i didn't really check out anything was trying to get it inside before it got dark

lol....jpg

Ya missed a part, there

And you're just teasing us by not showing more pictures

Did you install the column upside down?
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

I don't have a lot of uses for a drill press, but I've wanted a decent one for a long time. I'm currently using a Delta, and it's not very good.

I think this hits a nice price point.

Blog Entries
    So the top ring went a-wandering, eh? Hopefully that will show up quick as it is a bit of a show stopper.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

whole thing.jpgbig ass wrench.jpgscreen.jpgbox.jpg

the screen is good very good contrast between green and black no issues there.

the ui is very good no issues not complicated at all better then expected very easy to navigate. you can overshoot when using the digital depth stop sadly u cant just plow it in gotta ease it in and it works great

the controls are All that one knob in the middle it controls 90% being as it is a switch / pot.

the table insert is junk doesn't sit parallel to the surface and the screws are wrong size for the counter sink on them.

the table top seems pretty flat

its a little on the short side b/c of how big the head is on the drill press it sits really low going to need to build a 4-6'' base for it but i am 6'4'' so it might not be a issue for some.

big ass wrench that does nothing 24mm / 27mm as seen in pictures

it is Very quiet even at 3000rpm maybe 75db really nice, at 1500 rpm i can hear it but i could easily leave it on by mistake it is very very quiet.

once i get it all back together ill check the runout and report back prob wont be till middle or end on next week.

there is a electronic brake on it that im not sure is suppose to do it was disabled by default i turned it on and it made slightly nasty noise metal on metal sound so i turned it back off.

the autostart is a little funky when combined with the depth stop so u go down it starts at .3'', turns off where ever u set the depth at then starts again at .3'' when retacted then turns off again when the quill is fully retracted

Is the wrench for table tilt?

Really nice, David.
    Thank you for the reports and eager to hear more!

Blog Entries
    Great info. All the auto start and auto stop stuff is really secondary to me. I you can lower the quill about 3", grab the chuck and lift up and down with no slop you will be ahead of anything of recent vintage that I have had my hands on for years. This failure is my main peeve with DP makers today. Lateral runout is, of course, a serious offense and can make a $1500 drill press a $100 drill press in nothing flat. The inattention to vertical slop is my hot button though ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Great info. All the auto start and auto stop stuff is really secondary to me. I you can lower the quill about 3", grab the chuck and lift up and down with no slop you will be ahead of anything of recent vintage that I have had my hands on for years. This failure is my main peeve with DP makers today. Lateral runout is, of course, a serious offense and can make a $1500 drill press a $100 drill press in nothing flat. The inattention to vertical slop is my hot button though ;-)
    so i went out to test your vertical slop and was i depressed tons of slop the entire head moved around prob 1/8'' of slop in every direction. they should prob mention somewhere that this is a split head drill press.... i am 27 years old never even heard or seen such a thing and its not mentioned at all in the manual but it looks like a collet so i tightened the quill lock down a little and like magic the horizontal slop disappeared that i could feel, there is still vertical slop but i didn't have time to find a allen wrench and tighten it down correctly.
    Slop lool.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-17-2016 at 3:00 PM.

Slop in rack and pinion is about normal, Mr. Bradley, no?
    And when you remove the slop (x drilling) you still get the hammering?
    I know you can pull the slop out x pulling on the drill tool, but you still have the slop whilst pushing (drilling) too?
    Tell me more.
    My press is >45 years old; I'm not having any axial hammering unless my drilling tool is spoiled and running at the wrong speed or feed or both, and/or I've mismatched the material to the drill bit.