Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asian lathe Manufacturers and profit markups

OK, I understand, not the "Extreme 19" but the 19" Ultimate. And the planer does come with carbide cutters.

The Minimax is about 80 lbs lighter so I don't know where that added mass goes on the Grizzly. I'm satisfied that you got good deals, but I think Grizzly usually wins on the markup challenge. Then a completely different question that I can't approach through a catalogue is what they are to use.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 06-03-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    And the planer does come with carbide cutters.
    It does, but they'll have to be replaced eventually, and Grizzly wants $70 for ten of them. The planer takes about a hundred for a total cost of more than $700. That's a spectacular markup. I don't know whether the cutters really are proprietary or whether they're just charging excessively for them, but for me it was a real consideration.

About the minimax, it may or may not be lighter. Their specs are all over the place. I know for a fact that the MM24 is about a hundred pounds lighter than advertised. Also, remember that "markup" is an added charge over what something costs the seller, and the Italian-made bandsaw almost certainly costs Minimax a lot more than the Grizzly pays for its Asian saws.

Back to the original post, there is always this temptation to move up just one or two or three more steps. I am still headed towards the G0766 and a high end hollowing system & better grinder. When I see the next level up - this line whether through Laguna or Grizzly or anyone else sets my mind going. I will probably end up where I am headed, especially with the new, lower castings for the G0766 legs, but I have to ask myself if it would be better to get the whole package this Fall of lathe, hollower, and grinder, or spend it all on a larger lathe.

Thanks for the temptation
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

John, if a person attached the bed extension on the front, would it be used in conjunction with the headstock being rotated 90 degrees? If not, what would be it's purpose/benefit ?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Back to the original post, there is always this temptation to move up just one or two or three more steps. I am still headed towards the G0766 and a high end hollowing system & better grinder. When I see the next level up - this line whether through Laguna or Grizzly or anyone else sets my mind going. I will probably end up where I am headed, especially with the new, lower castings for the G0766 legs, but I have to ask myself if it would be better to get the whole package this Fall of lathe, hollower, and grinder, or spend it all on a larger lathe.

Thanks for the temptation
    Brian......I am not trying to steer you in any particular direction. Just some thoughts to consider, however. There is nothing that the above lathe I pictured will do that the G0766 won't, with maybe the exception of an inch+ larger blank. I have found that the G0766 will handle most anything I want to throw at it, with the exception of perhaps a large wall hanging, because it has the available bed extension [for substantial $$$ of course!] The big features are all there, except the cage, which most turners remove anyway, and do not use. And how often would you likely use the comparator arms? It is hard for me to say, since I have not seen the G0800 or G0799 up close and personal, but it may have just a bit more refined finish on it, but I can tell you the G0766 is nicely machined, and is a good bit more refined than the G0698 18/47 lathe I had previously.

Power is the same, and even though there were questions regarding the stats, I think that was due at least in part to cut and paste techniques on the manual that Grizzly used parts of from other manuals. Sparky Paessler tested his and found out the output amps were more than stated in the manual on his G0766 at 10+ amps. I think that manual states no load or something, but Sparky [being an electrical engineer] was able to satisfy the question in my mind, at least.

With the features and electronics that compare to much higher cost lathes such as the one here, or the PM 3520b, it is the value of the market. Those savings will go a long way towards the other tool upgrades you speak of, but I will admit, that having a tricked out lathe with all the bells and whistles is pretty cool thing!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    John, if a person attached the bed extension on the front, would it be used in conjunction with the headstock being rotated 90 degrees? If not, what would be it's purpose/benefit ?
    I had the same question. Does the headstock rotate, slide or both?

7. I believe the purpose of the front mounting extension is to allow work on the backside of the piece without having to reverse it.

While I have not had an occasion to locate my extension on the front side, I believe Roger's explanation is correct. The headstock slides, but does not rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I believe the purpose of the front mounting extension is to allow work on the backside of the piece without having to reverse it.
    Ala Sweet 16 from Robust
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Roger, I hate to appear overly dense, but having a bed extension mounted there (and not being able to slide it left and right) would seem to have limited utility. I don't see how it would give me better access to the left side of a vessel I was turning than I would get from moving the banjo. Maybe it allows me to turn something about 2" large in diameter because I am not turning over the banjo. I know that I'm missing something....

11. Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Roger, I hate to appear overly dense, but having a bed extension mounted there (and not being able to slide it left and right) would seem to have limited utility. I don't see how it would give me better access to the left side of a vessel I was turning than I would get from moving the banjo. Maybe it allows me to turn something about 2" large in diameter because I am not turning over the banjo. I know that I'm missing something....
    Brice....not that it cannot be done the way we do it now of course [moving the banjo] but the lathe designers just figured out another feature I suppose, but if you think about it, with the mounting point right at the end of the spindle the way it is, access to the back side of say a bowl would be had without any danger of wobble, etc because the turning would never get moved and would be able to be completed without reversing........that would have to be with a recess hold for the chuck in the first place, unless one just wanted a straight sided foot and used the tenon for that. {not asthetically pleasing in my book}

One thing about having an extension mounted there.........it would always seem to be getting in my way I think in my very small shop. But one might be able to lean on it there if perhaps one desired to do so or got tired?

It may be worth noting that the bed extension can be relocated in just a few minutes. It is an easy task, so moving it for one project would not be that big of a deal. I got the bed extension for my 1836 so I would have the capacity for turning large platters off the tailstock end of the lathe, but I appreciate having other uses available.

13. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    It may be worth noting that the bed extension can be relocated in just a few minutes. It is an easy task, so moving it for one project would not be that big of a deal. I got the bed extension for my 1836 so I would have the capacity for turning large platters off the tailstock end of the lathe, but I appreciate having other uses available.
    If I had the bed extension, I would also use it like you mention, John.....off the tailstock end to do large platters. I wish I had more room in my shop at present, so no room to turn off the end, but in time to come that will change, and who knows, I may just acquire my dream lathe [whatever that may be at the time! ]

Another thing to consider is warranty. Grizzly only has a one year warranty vs. jets 5 year. I couldn't find the Harvey warranty but guess it's only one year.

It is important to remember that most tools are imported from asia these days.

If by markups, you mean (Sale Cost - Product Price). Don't forget the cost of:
    - Warranty service
    - Spare Parts inventory
    - Dealer Network (ex. woodcraft has to make a profit when it sells a jet or powermatic)
    - Customer Support
    - Engineering (Some companies modify orig products offered and spec better components)
    - Quality Control - sometimes having someone in your employ in the factory (part or full time)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    It does look nice.

My impression is that Grizzly's markup is pretty darn high. Every time I've considered buying from them, I find a better deal on a better brand somewhere else.