Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My first sip of green kool-aid

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Festool has a 30 day return policy but I don't know if that applies to things like rails. If it does, return one of the 55" rails and get the longer one - the Makita if you want.

While you can put two rails together, it's easier and less error prone to have a long rail.

Mike
    Well I buy almost everything through Amazon, and they have a no questions asked return policy. So, and I can't believe I'm openly admitting this, I returned the extra 55" rail, and ordered the 118", and not the Makita. I read the reviews on the Makita and there were many folks complaining that it was not dead straight, out by as much as a 16" of an inch. I know that doesn't seem like much, but I bought this saw for a reason, and bowed cuts from a track saw won't do.

I was going to just connect the two 55" rails together, but I thought about it, and for as much as I paid for this saw, I figure I'm already all in. Crazy?

@ Mike Cutler

Love the response. You're such an enabler!

I hav enot had the track saw, but have tried it on site when another contractor let me use it. Great tool for on site work. However, Im not sold on festool for my shop applications. In the case of sanders, they don't even make a pneumatic sander, and when it comes to shop sanders, and a sander you might have to operate 10 hours straight, you need pneumatic for comfort and speed. I have had dynabrade, and 3M sanders. Performance equal but 3M was lighter on the wrist. However I am considering trying a Mirka. I just can't justify $650CAD on a new top grade festool sander when its still electric and bulky compared to pneumatic when I already have air supply (and lots of it).

Jessie, Festool do make air sanders as well - not saying they would be cheaper or better but they are available. The range is called LEX

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Jessie, Festool do make air sanders as well - not saying they would be cheaper or better but they are available. The range is called LEX
    Very true. We just don't hear much about them because the overwhelming market is for portability and that's not something that air tools provide because of the compressor demands. But the Festool air sanders are likely every bit as capable and quality built as the electric tools.

http://www.festoolusa.com/search?q=Lex&catname=Sanders
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    @ Mike Cutler

Love the response. You're such an enabler!
    That's what were supposed to be here for. Kinda like an online, tool junkie's, support group.

"Hi, my name is Mike and I bought a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

PS
    You made the right decision on that longer rail. Putting the two 55's together "works", but it's easy to knock them out of whack if you're not careful. The extra 8" will come in handy for support when you cut sheet goods along the length.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-05-2016 at 1:45 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    The domino is another game changer for me, love it and use it a ton. It paid for itself when I redid my wifes walk in closet. I went through 800 dominos on that project and it saved me countless hours of having to try to deal with dados and what not. Dust collection on this machine is 100% effective.
    Pictures? Perhaps my wife needs a new closet, and I need a domino.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Congrats Mike. I don't have the track saw but have several sanders and I have to warn you, don't try them because you will want them as well. Keep us updated after you get a chance to use it.
    I thought I just get the TS55..... seems I was wrong too, since then I "had" to get the 1400EQ router and it "needed" MFT/3...and clamps and... (more and more grey boxes) :-)

Anyway Congrats Mike for your purchase - sure "green things" are expensive, but very well made tools...

K