Thread: Beech blanks for bench planes

Beech blanks for bench planes

Dan Schwank, aka Red Rose Reproductions, has some quartersawn beech blanks for traditional planemaking. Direct link to the blanks here. He doesn't have a ton of stock, but this is his first time doing this, and he's planning to do it again when more lumber becomes available.

Dan's a friend but I'm not making a single penny from this…just posting it because I know some people have been hoping to find suitable planemaking blanks.

Also, Horizon just got a shipment of Euro beech 4 x 4s. This is the first time I've ever seen QS Euro beech suitable for bench planes available in the U.S.! The beech is not listed on their website, so you'd need to call them. I sort of doubt they'd sell a single stick, but if you are looking to make a few planes and want a larger stash, this might be a good option.

Last, if you are interested in making molding planes, Rory at Rare Woods USA has dimensioned beech blanks for them. The easiest way to get them is to go to Ebay and search for "Beech, European quarter-sawn plane blanks." He has a decent supply and several different sizes.

So, things are looking up for people who want traditional stock for planemaking! Again, I have no financial affiliation with any of the above. I would point out though, that the best way to ensure a continued supply of this stuff is to buy some and make it economically viable for these folks, who have gone out of their way to make beech blanks available once again.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Thanks Steve!

Man!! I can't fight those prices!!! We are talking about one of the cheapest hardwoods to ever grow. That's why they used it so much in the first place.

But,If a guy wants to make himself a plane,what the heck!

Blog Entries
    thanks Steve! Having the right stock is one less thing for me to screw up