Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: converting part of the garage into an office

Blog Entries

converting part of the garage into an office

We are having a storage nook in the garage converted into an office. As a part of this we want the floor to be raised to be even with the rest of the house. This means raising the floor about 6 inches. My solution is to build it up with a 2x6 framework and then lay T&G plywood on that to add the engineered wood flooring to.
    My question is, should I lay down a vapor barrier between the cement garage floor and the 2x6 frame? If not, is there anything I should do other than just put the frame down directly on the floor? The little bit of online research is mixed as far as how to do this.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Did a similar thing in my shop (detached building) so just have a step up into my office from the shop. I did not use a vapor barrier but made the sleepers out of ground contact pressure treated wood. Used foam insulation between sleepers, then T&G plywood subfloor. It is currently five years old and everything is fine.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    I don't think the builder is planing on using PT lumber. Should I insist on that?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I would use PT lumber on the concrete floor or at least strips of 6 mil Poly if it was mine. I just finished a few walls in my new shop and put poly under the PT bottom plate to be safe.

Even with the poly, there will likely be condensation with any humidity against the cold concrete. I’d use PT framing with another vapor barrier below the subfloor.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    Even with the poly, there will likely be condensation with any humidity against the cold concrete. I’d use PT framing with another vapor barrier below the subfloor.
    I agree with this. Vapor barrier, PT lumber for the framing and subfloor, rigid foam insulation between the sleepers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with all above too. We just redid our kitchen and took it down to the studs. It is in the oldest part of our house which is cinder block with untreated 3/4" strips attached directly to the walls and no vapor barrier. We were lucky and the strips were in perfect condition and wall bone dry, especially considering the house is almost 70 years old. The outside wall has probably been painted enough times that it is no longer wicking moisture.

Since the concrete slab is in direct contact with the ground I would definitely put vapor barrier and use PT lumber or at minimum use PT lumber. Better safe than sorry.

Is this your own private woodworking office or one that you'll have to share?

Robby

Larry,

You should use PT where it comes in contact on the cement. As far a a vapor barrier just put it on top of the plywood and under the engineered flooring and you'll be fine. Use the stuff found in your local BORG in the flooring section and skip the plastic, which will only invite trouble.

Bud

Larry, does the existing concrete floor have a vapour barrier under it? If it does, you would not need a further vapour barrier which can actually create a localised moisture trap. Cheers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Larry, does the existing concrete floor have a vapour barrier under it? If it does, you would not need a further vapour barrier which can actually create a localised moisture trap. Cheers
    I agree with Wayne on the vapor barrier. If there is no vapor barrier, I would put one down, use PT lumber, and Advantech for the sub-floor. I would also use construction adhesive on the sub-floor.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Everyone,
    I probably should know, since we built the house about 18 years ago, but I do not remember if the contractor put down a vapor barrier in the garage area. Probably not though.
    We have never had an issue with the floor being wet for any reason either. As of now, the contractor is using PT where it contacts the cement. He is using 1X6 at 45% over the floor joist frame and then 3/4 T&G plywood over that, then engineered hardwood flooring on that. I don't think he is planning on a VB at this time. If he does put down a VB, where should that go? On the cement? On top of the joist frame? between the 1X6 and plywood? I am thinking all this is going down today, so I have to decide within the next few hours.
    Larry J Browning

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Everyone,
    I probably should know, since we built the house about 18 years ago, but I do not remember if the contractor put down a vapor barrier in the garage area. Probably not though.
    We have never had an issue with the floor being wet for any reason either. As of now, the contractor is using PT where it contacts the cement. He is using 1X6 at 45% over the floor joist frame and then 3/4 T&G plywood over that, then engineered hardwood flooring on that. I don't think he is planning on a VB at this time. If he does put down a VB, where should that go? On the cement? On top of the joist frame? between the 1X6 and plywood? I am thinking all this is going down today, so I have to decide within the next few hours.
    Here is what I did, the slab is insulated and has vapor barrier underneath.
    IMG_20160606_080540.jpg

Blog Entries
    Here is where we are now.
    IMG_5769.JPG
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    That will probably never give you any problems. Not the way I would have done it, but different strokes for different folks. Good luck with your building project.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Unlikely that 18 years ago a vapor barrier would have been put under a garage floor. Typically they just pour the slab over whatever happens to be there without doing any smoothing even. In your progress picture, is the non PT wood off the floor and just nailed or screwed to the pieces of PT? Here in the Northwest, that construction would not fly.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]