Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LN Workbench replacement

LN Workbench replacement

I have had my LN workbench for 4 1/2 years. I noticed back in December that the laminated top had some small voids in it. The lamination was opening up at several locations.
    I called LN and sent them some pictures. After the rep. showed Tom Lie-Nielsen the photos they decided to send me a brand new bench which should arrive end of this month.
    This again shows the customer service that LN provides to its customers...pretty remarkable!!
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

LN is a first rate company no doubt about it!

I wonder how many benches they will sell off your testimony!!

I've learned it's good business to occasionally loose money to satisfy a customer because it will always come back to you.

Wow! Like I say, with tools, you either cry once upon payment, or cry often with performance/longevity.
    Maurice

I when I ordered my Ln Bench top I remember asking about what if it delaminates.The answer was they only had a few benches that were sent to Arizona desert areas come back.
    Mind sits in a uninsulated shop does yours Jim?
    Glad to hear your getting taking care of.

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I when I ordered my Ln Bench top I remember asking about what if it delaminates.The answer was they only had a few benches that were sent to Arizona desert areas come back. Mind sits in a uninsulated shop does yours Jim? Glad to hear your getting taking care of. Aj
    My bench is in the garage which can get very warm in the afternoon.

Blog Entries
    Another leader in the area of customer service. A model for all those other guys ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Unless you can get some air conditioning in your shop,the next bench will likely fail too. And,it is doubtful if LN would be rightly expected to replace the bench a second time.You are simply living in a hot,dry climate which is very hard on ANY wooden furniture,including a bench. But,I am sure you already know that. A window unit air conditioner would be a good investment,and cheaper than buying a new bench down the road. A humidifier would also be a great help in protecting your bench.

Museums like to keep their collections at 55% humidity. Get a hygrometer and check your humidity. It is probably MUCH lower than 55%. Unfortunately,we have the OPPOSITE condition here.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Unless you can get some air conditioning in your shop,the next bench will likely fail too. And,it is doubtful if LN would be rightly expected to replace the bench a second time.You are simply living in a hot,dry climate which is very hard on ANY wooden furniture,including a bench. But,I am sure you already know that. A window unit air conditioner would be a good investment,and cheaper than buying a new bench down the road. A humidifier would also be a great help in protecting your bench.

Museums like to keep their collections at 55% humidity. Get a hygrometer and check your humidity. It is probably MUCH lower than 55%. Unfortunately,we have the OPPOSITE condition here.
    Good advice! Unfortunately it is not practical to install AC in my garage.
    Last edited by Jim Barrett; 06-04-2016 at 7:27 PM.

Is that really fair then? I am no judge or jury but why have on go through the expense of making and shipping you a bench just so you can turn around and sell it especially since they are not replacing a defective unit but just trying to keep a happy customer?

Then again it isn't my bench or business. Sorry if this sounds more high and mighty than i intend. Just thinking....

Ya Jim I'm with Prashun,If you sell the new bench for a profit .Thats got bad Karma written all over it.At least find a place in the house.
    Id have one in my house if I had too.

I doubt that LN wants the old bench back so it might be ethical to sell the old one; but asking for a replacement and then selling it is bad business. Well, they know it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I doubt that LN wants the old bench back so it might be ethical to sell the old one; but asking for a replacement and then selling it is bad business. Well, they know it now!
    LN is taking the old bench back.
    OK I surrender...I won't sell the bench!
    Pics to follow when I get it !!

Thanks for all of your input
    Last edited by Jim Barrett; 06-04-2016 at 7:29 PM.

AT LEAST put a HUMIDIFIER near your new bench. If you don't,you will end up just the same as your bench is now. Hopefully with moisture in the air,the new bench can take the heat. How hot does it get there? It gets plenty hot here too,but it is not terribly dry.

I don't know. My shops have been heated and air conditioned for many years. BUT,I'll confess,I never really had a good bench at home until about 15 years ago,when I got some beechwood logs sawn up and dried them for several years inside the toolmaker's shop.

You don't need a massive bench to make musical instruments. Back in the 60's,when I wanted to do some heavy scraping on rosewood guitar backs,I did it on my 600# table saw's top.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-04-2016 at 7:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    AT LEAST put a HUMIDIFIER near your new bench. If you don't,you will end up just the same as your bench is now. Hopefully with moisture in the air,the new bench can take the heat. How hot does it get there? It gets plenty hot here too,but it is not terribly dry.

I don't know. My shops have been heated and air conditioned for many years. BUT,I'll confess,I never really had a good bench at home until about 15 years ago,when I got some beechwood logs sawn up and dried them for several years inside the toolmaker's shop.

You don't need a massive bench to make musical instruments. Back in the 60's,when I wanted to do some heavy scraping on rosewood guitar backs,I did it on my 600# table saw's top.
    Right now it is 90 degrees in the garage with 18% humidity...it gets hot and very dry here....high today was 107 with 6% humidity outside...my garage is insulated so it is not as bad.
    Will get a humidifier and see how that works.
    Thanks again for the input!