Thread: Choosing the right hinges

Choosing the right hinges

This may seem stupid, but have a question on hinge choice. I'm building a built-in TV cabinet, and the doors are actually recessed back into the frame. The doors will be 3/4" thick, the frame is 1.75" thick, and the doors will be flush to the back side (back side of door and frame will be flush). The challenge is I miss-measured when I was building the cabinet carcass. Ideally it would have been flush with the inside of the frame, but instead it is about 1/8" off. So, it is set back about 1/8" from the frame.

My question is this: Can I just use standard frame-less insert hinges and space them off the inside of the cabinet with a 1/8" spacer of some kind? Any reason this wouldn't work? Or is there a better way of skinning this?
    Clark Harbaugh

That will work. Blum (and probably others, too) sells a 3mm (about 1/8") spacer for situations like this. (spacer) Of course, you can make your own spacers, too.

I just hope your ham-handed brother-in-law doesn't swing that door hard into the frame when he opens it and over-stresses the door and/or hinge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    That will work. Blum (and probably others, too) sells a 3mm (about 1/8") spacer for situations like this. (spacer) Of course, you can make your own spacers, too.

I just hope your ham-handed brother-in-law doesn't swing that door hard into the frame when he opens it and over-stresses the door and/or hinge.

Thanks. Didn't realize they made spacers for this. Also didn't think about the limited opening. May need to adjust the design a little...
    Clark Harbaugh