Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fixing to pull the trigger

Speaking of not seeing someone for a while Is everything ok with Scott Shepard? haven't seen him in a long time either

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Good to see you back Rodne, haven't seen you in awhile! 5 years flawless is incredibly impressive!
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Speaking of not seeing someone for a while Is everything ok with Scott Shepard? haven't seen him in a long time either
    Spoke with him about a month ago all is going well. He's been busy I think.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Keith! He is one of my favorites. Though I have to admit the list is lengthy now. Tooooooo many good people on this forum! <grin>

Thanks for asking Bert. I was wondering too!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I must admit I'm a bit worried about Shep myself-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yeah, I was thinking about him last week and sent him a PM but haven't heard from him yet, I hope he's ok. It's kind of amazing to me that you can get to know someone and consider them friends when you've never actually met them but just read their posts online, although I did talk to Steve on the phone back when I had many questions about purchasing my first laser, he and many others on here are some of the best people I've met! David Somers you're a kick, love your sense of humor and I'd love to hang out and learn woodworking from you if I lived near by! And if anyone is ever in the Palm Springs area be sure to stop by and say hi.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Steve is doing just fine. I'm sure he appreciates your thoughts. Business is very good for Steve right now so he must prioritize his time.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Congrats Stephen! Hope this works great for you.

Dave
    Thanks Dave! I am downloading the VCarve and PhotoVcarve demos now. It comes with the desktop version but will likely upgrade to the VCarve Pro. (but not planning on Aspire). We already have Illustrator so hoping to use that to create my vectors.

Actually I posted my last post with my cart ready to checkout once I found my wallet and then that last exchange with Dave Stephens made stop and think this through a little more. I was getting the original Shark for 3k and I started to upgrade to the HD3 extended bed for 5k and adding the laser for $850 along with another grand of add-ons and tables etc. I was approaching a pretty big number and had a small project lined up for it.

The bill was getting huge and I was going way overboard and just feeding my interest, not buying a tool to get a project done. I tend to go large b4 I should with things like this and causes me to either over buy or even worse go in the wrong direction. I was reviewing my order realizing I was going to be carving relief stamps on a small 3"x4" piece of wood on a huge CNC machine that will take up half my shop and I have never even used one :-)

I decided to dial it back to the shark kid brother the Piranha FX (12"x14" travel bed) without either the wimpy laser and 3d add-ons. It uses the same software as the Shark line and I just added the touch plate and photoVcarve software add-on. The whole thing out the door was 2k shipped.

This way I can concentrate on making my 3"x4" pottery stamps and get an entry education in the CNC world. If I go large later then this smaller CNC will still have usefulness for smaller projects like my stamps. If my next project is better suited to a laser then I can come back around to that.

Lots of options just need to think with my head. Thanks again everyone for all the help. This is a great group here.

I will definitely take your advice and look around for a CNC group or maker shop. Then I can test drive (as many have suggested here) the bigger ones before I peel out some serious bucks.

My wife loves to see me cycle through this stuff, went from a 6 grand laser that I really just wanted but did not need to a 2 grand setup that pretty much perfectly matches my current needs and was of course her initial input.
    Last edited by Stephen White; 06-09-2016 at 8:54 PM.

Thanks Keith, I was out most of today so just got to checking in now. Glad he's busy and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Spoke with him about a month ago all is going well. He's been busy I think.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Great to hear Stephen!! Let us know how this goes and how you like the Piranha. When I bought my laser I bought the same sized "table top" CNC from the same place (900x600). Been very pleased with. Kind of mid sized table top unit (at 700lbs...had to make a heck of a table top for it! <Grin>) and have had a lot of fun with it. Havent made anything big with it yet, but have a number of things drawn up ready to go when I get some free time. They are a kick to play with. Holler if I can help you with anything. You will like Vcarve Pro. Nice package. And like I said, you might look at just learning it well and using it for your vector work for a laser eventually. It is very capable. Just export your vector out in a format you want rather than continuing on to rendering a Gcode toolpath. Might help reduce your learning curve, unless you are already really conversant with Illustrator of course.

Good luck!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Im still around , still moderating and "lurking" .. have concentrated on my business
    I have been hands off the lasers for many years.. I leave em to my staff to run and program , thus am a bit out of touch.
    A lot of questions here are repeated over a time cycle , lots of others keen to contribute.

We have moved into a 10 000 sq ft showroom/factory , in a secure business park , the move last year took a ton of my time.
    New website and new processes taking me away from lasering , set up a framing department , turned the CLLT dept from small to big , established a party/wedding/function hiring and advisory service , got big into 21st key wholesaling , partnered with a rigging/signage co , gave 25% of my business to my long time employee

However our 20w fibre came recently (exceptional priced . speak to Yarde Feng) , So im "back" into lasering getting to grips with what it can do.

Im 56 , not in the greatest health (diabetes) so come into work at 7.30 am and go home at 2.

I am massively into hifi and audiophillia so spend a ton of time listening to music at home .. I actually built a dedicated room for 2 channel stereo. Sold my yank muscle and turned the proceeds into speakers
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Thanks Keith! He is one of my favorites. Though I have to admit the list is lengthy now. Tooooooo many good people on this forum! <grin>
    +1 I second that comment

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Im still around , still moderating and "lurking" .. have concentrated on my business
    I have been hands off the lasers for many years.. I leave em to my staff to run and program , thus am a bit out of touch.
    A lot of questions here are repeated over a time cycle , lots of others keen to contribute.

We have moved into a 10 000 sq ft showroom/factory , in a secure business park , the move last year took a ton of my time.
    New website and new processes taking me away from lasering , set up a framing department , turned the CLLT dept from small to big , established a party/wedding/function hiring and advisory service , got big into 21st key wholesaling , partnered with a rigging/signage co , gave 25% of my business to my long time employee

However our 20w fibre came recently (exceptional priced . speak to Yarde Feng) , So im "back" into lasering getting to grips with what it can do.

Im 56 , not in the greatest health (diabetes) so come into work at 7.30 am and go home at 2.

I am massively into hifi and audiophillia so spend a ton of time listening to music at home .. I actually built a dedicated room for 2 channel stereo. Sold my yank muscle and turned the proceeds into speakers
    Glad to see you're still around Rodney, thanks to you and Steve especially I learned much from you guys when I first joined the site. FWIW, I'm 54 and was borderline type 2 a few years ago but was able to get back to normal by changing my horrible diet, not the answer for everyone but amazing what you can achieve by eating right!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Blog Entries
    Also glad to see your avatar back on the forum Rodney!! Missed you! Exciting news about the move and increased business!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Davis - Sturgis SD View Post
    Those first two pictures look suspiciously like Delrin, we use Delrin to engrave dies for stamping leather. To get that kind of depth on my 100 watt machine, 2 inch lens, it would take many passes, 4 to 6 passes I suppose. And another 6 passes to cut. For leather stamps we don't go that deep, but the detail you can get is astonishing. Then we stamp using 25 tons of pressure. Those Delrin dies are indestructible.

Bob

I was told that Delrin is the best material to use for these stamps. The delrin will last a real long time. The die will not round off over time.
    3 X Speedy 300 80w
    1 x Speedmarker 700 FL 30W
    1 x Speedy 400 120W
    1 x Speedy 360 50W Fiber
    1 X Speedy 100 60W
    Roland LEF 12 UV Printer
    HP 360 Latex Printer
    Graphtec 8600-160

Hi Dave, you know each step about import job from China. I advice to buy extra laser tube, no other parts. It is dangerous to ship laser tube alone no matter how you pack it. Small laser tube, short laser tube, say 40-60w is safer. The damage is caused by rough handling. For other parts, easy to be shipped.

I think EFR laser tube is better now. Reci laser tube is famous because its warranty time was 10 months while other brand warranty was just 3 months. But now EFR warranty is 12 months, while Reci warranty is still 10 months.