Thread: Applewood bowl

Smile Applewood bowl

This winter and spring I have been seeking out and returning some Applewood bowls, found more of them that I thought I still had .

This is one of them, has been sitting since 2004, a very nice looking wood I turned into a good user bowl in a simple basic shape, I’m pleased with it

All comments welcome

Apple 1.jpg Apple 2.jpg Apple 3.jpg Apple 4.jpg
    Have fun and take care

2. Now that is a looker! I really like this one, Leo!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks great Leo. I love to turn "user" bowls. And love it when the recipient "uses" it.
    Even though this is a "simple basic shape" the finish is what sets it apart from just any simple bowl.

Blog Entries
    Looks like cherry.
    does it turn anything like cherry?

all the best
    curt

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    This winter and spring I have been seeking out and returning some Applewood bowls, found more of them that I thought I still had .

This is one of them, has been sitting since 2004, a very nice looking wood I turned into a good user bowl in a simple basic shape, I’m pleased with it [snip]
    Very nice Leo! But don't you think you might be rushing the drying on those roughouts?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Now that is a looker! I really like this one, Leo!
    Thanks Roger , it is a nice wood to turn, though I personally like some more grain and different coloration in the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Looks great Leo. I love to turn "user" bowls. And love it when the recipient "uses" it.
    Even though this is a "simple basic shape" the finish is what sets it apart from just any simple bowl.
    Thanks Daryl , yes “dust collectors" seem to be all the rage, though I tend to go more for “users” and of course they should be good looking as well, who wants to have an “ugly” one

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Myers View Post
    Looks like cherry.
    does it turn anything like cherry?

all the best
    curt
    Thanks Curtis , the color is often different but can have that reddish color like Cherry, Apple has less showing of the early/late wood, it is a more dense wood, and often with different colors within the wood, turns nicer than Cherry, just needs more care (slow) in drying.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Very nice Leo! But don't you think you might be rushing the drying on those roughouts?
    David it isn’t in me to rush things like drying wood , thanks for looking and reply
    Have fun and take care