Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil stone box

Oil stone box

Just finished fitting this up last night. Just a piece of scrap 2x4 and a cheap combo stone. I still need to figure out if I want to put a finish on it or not, I'm thinking an oil and wax finish. I also had the idea of gluing leather to the top of the lid to make a strop, not to sure if this is a good idea though.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful looking stone holder.

Overtime the oil used on the stone will penetrate the wood.

I messed up one day while using a smaller stone in a holder. I was using it off bench and forgot the stone is just resting in the holder. The stone fell out and now there are two.

I have thought of cleaning it and trying to glue it back together.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice box! I find it's best to have a way to keep dust and other crud off of my strop. If you put the strop on the lid, you might end up making a second lid for it!

Thanks Jim, bummer about the stone. Still usable for knives and carving tools though

Thanks John, good point. I'll have to think on it some more.

Love it, very neat work indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Love it, very neat work indeed!
    Thank you, your videos are actually the reason I picked up the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Fisher View Post
    Just finished fitting this up last night. Just a piece of scrap 2x4 and a cheap combo stone. I still need to figure out if I want to put a finish on it or not, I'm thinking an oil and wax finish. I also had the idea of gluing leather to the top of the lid to make a strop, not to sure if this is a good idea though.
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    As an "accumulator" of stones/boxes, many vintage boxes did have leather affixed to the top for use as a strop.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Nice box, I like those curves. I usually brush mine with a couple of coats of shellac.

Very nice. What method did you use for the recess in the lid and the curves on the base?

Very nice! Love the curves on the bottom. I made a simpler box for one of my little Arkansas stones out of cherry. It was rather tough as the grain was odd, and I didn't have a router.

I finished mine with several coats of danish oil, followed by orange oil and beeswax. I'd definitely put a finish, otherwise oily metal particles will make your pretty white box rather ugly rather quickly!

The recesses were chopped in with a chisel and then cleared out with a hand router till I hit depth. The curves were done very carefully with a chisel.

I think I'll be putting at least some Danish oil on it, at least give it some protection.

I coated mine with a lot of varnish in a feeble attempt to keep the oil inside. I don't know yet how succesfull that is going to be!

and Finished!

I decided to put a coat of Danish oil followed by a coat wax, got it all buffed out, glued the leather on top and sharpened a few chisels. So far I really like having everything right there, easy and quick to use.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I also added super high tech extra grippy no slip death grip feet to it. Clipped finish nails
    Last edited by Kenneth Fisher; 06-06-2016 at 12:55 PM.

A piece of leather for a strop on top would be handy. I'm thinking of also adding a thin rubber pad to the bottom to keep the box and stone from moving while sharpening.

Nice box. Love the idea of using a 2x4 scrap. Excellent!