Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting Board Question

I agree with Barry about Gorilla glue. Its a moisture cured glue, so it "likes" moisture and is supposed to be 100% waterproof. If you use it, keep in mind that it expands as it cures, so you don't necessarily spread it on thick like you would Titebond. When you apply it, wet the joints with a damp cloth after clamping. Also, use gloves. Since your skin has moisture in it, it will not come off until your skin does. It is sort of like super glue on your hands.

I also agree that you have to take care of cutting boards for them to last. You can't let them get wet for very long before water soaks in, unless they are oiled well. You don't have to "baby" cutting boards, but you do need to keep them away from standing water except to wash them, and then immediately dry.

I would guess that in a restaurant kitchen environment, the cutting board gets washed/wiped many times per day and is used daily. Cutting boards used in a restaurant kitchen probably have 30x or more wear compared to a normal kitchen cutting board. Plastic based cutting boards can be run through the dishwasher and submerged in water. If it were me, I use plastic cutting boards general food preparation in a restaurant environment except for cutting bread or for presentation purposes.

Robby

Hi Grant I will be gluing up side grain to side grain. The user surface of the board will be side grain. No end grain to end grain joints.
    Mark

Thanks Robby!