Thread: flute master jig

flute master jig

well since I got a full size lathe I have been wanting to do flutes on it,,even the smaller mini lathe I had I wanted to,,,i have seen the flute master on you tube and it seems like it works very well,,,does anyone have any experience with it,,it actually don't look to hard to build one,,any comments would be helpful,,thank you

I have one, and I like it because it is really simple to set up and to use. I also make a lot of my tools and tooling since I have access to milling machines and metal lathes. I could easily make one, but for the price I would not make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    I have one, and I like it because it is really simple to set up and to use.
    I'll echo Marvin's comments......assemble the parts out of the box and you're fluting in 5 minutes. Only used it a couple times but do have a few pieces that are just about dry that I want to use it on. On a 11" bowl I fluted, I clamped a piece of laminated mdf on the bed ways to provide a more stable platform to get around the radius towards the bottom of the bowl with a nice smooth movement. Had an issue with the index wheel clamping knob being a little bit in the way of the router motor on the swing around the bottom. Think I'll use a spindle extender in front of the index wheel if I do a similar size bowl next time.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I have had one for several years & use a Foredom flex shaft router. I am very pleased with it. I have fluted a large number of things. Tomorrow I will finish some pepper mills that I fluted on Friday. The main thing that I can tell you is take several light cuts instead of one deep cut. This will give you a better result.
    If you are going to the AAW symposium, Dick Webber will be there.

Should have mentioned before, I'm using the newer style depth gauge style with the small Ridgid router.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Wright View Post
    Tomorrow I will finish some pepper mills that I fluted on Friday.
    I'd like to see pictures of your mills when you're done!