Thread: Not a good day in the shop

Not a good day in the shop

Went out the shop this morning to make some moldings for a hope chest that I am building. Last week I lubricated my router lift with LPS Force 842 and it worked real well that day but today I went to raise the router to change the bit and it was seized solid. I had to completely disassemble the unit and clean it. I won't use that product on a router lift again.

On to next bit of not a good day in the shop.
    I have a CX504 26" dual drum sander. The fine belt drum had a burn mark at about the 20" mark and the lid of the hope chest lid is 19" so what the heck I'll just change the paper. This is the first time I have changed paper and have heard that the clips on these units can be a real PITA. Well they are. I bought pre cut paper from Busy Bee. I got a good bite on the start clip but when I got to the end I could not get the clip to grab properly. So I wound it nice and tight and taped it off.
    So now on to the next thing I will never do again. I had left an overhang of paper on the roller and it cut right through the bracket that holds the pressure roller.
    Before I got this unit I had a shop built drum sander with a hook and loop system and really liked it. I had a bunch of left over paper so I bought a conversion kit from Woodmaster Tools when I first bought this unit. I now have a hook and loop drum sander. I have not tried it yet. I am not sure if I can run this machine with it missing the out feed pressure roller. I sent Busy Bee an email to see if they can source the part for me.
    The Hook and loop conversion is the stickiest I have ever seen. I kept the cut offs to make power sanding pads for the lathe
    It can only get better, I hope!
    Al

Allan

Some days just go that way, and it truly sucks the wind out of your sails when they do happen. Everybody has been there.
    I don't know about using a drum sander without the out feed pressure roller. It seems to me that if you are careful you should be able to support the material coming out the back. That last six or so inches, once there is no pressure from the first drum head, will be where you would encounter problems.
    If theres a bright light in all of this, it's that your post doesn't seem to reflect that the material for the hope chest itself was damaged.

Have a nice supper, maybe a glass or two of wine, and give it a go in the morning when you're head is a little clearer.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The bright spot of the day was no damage to the material for the chest
    Al

I had one of these days the other day. Not necessarily a tool issue, but I hurt myself twice. Cut myself with a chisel and got the meanest white oak splinter Ive ever had. Put a big damper on my day. Came back with a clear mind and had a great day next time I got in there. Reminds me alot of my golf game lol.

At least no one got hurt.

Would you rather have been "in the office"?

Wayne

Ignorance can be expensive at times... I seem to re-learn that lesson all too often myself - my most recent was forgetting to properly tighten the inboard shaper fence after the final adjustment - at least I was using a power feeder so no injury to anything other than my pride but the Al fence and carbide cutter bit the big one at a cost many times the value of the material I was working on

IMHO any shop accident that leaves you still able to count to 10 with your shoes on is not that bad

Feel your pain--just remember: Some days, you get the bear; some days the bear gets you.