Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: REAXX review

REAXX review

I have been anticipating the release of the Bosch REAXX saw for months now -- and today came across my first review:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3MaaxL8nGzI

Now I hope to hear from some creekers who have bought one -- and a comparison between the REAXX and the SawStop Jobsite saw cannot be far behind.

Blog Entries
    Looking at the video on the Bosch website, it appears that Bosch simply powers the blade below the table top when the system is activated. The blade isn't harmed in the process. It also appears that they have a twin cartridge system that gives you a second activation and relatively simple reset. The unknown is what the price of the cartridge is and how that compares to sawstop.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Won't swear to it but I watched a video with a Bosch rep who said that the cartridge will be around $100 for 2 shots. The video also showed an activation and reset and yes the reset was pretty simple.

Blog Entries
    From what I have seen, I like the technology better than the SS.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Hmmmm.

Not sure if they are selling it yet, as they are in patent litigation with SawStop over infringement issues around the sensing system (which drops the blade.)

I'd go for the Bosch system myself though...saves on buying a new blade although...both are still cheaper that loosing finger(s)

J.

I've said it before, I don't want saving the blade to be part of the equation. With the SawStop, if the trunnion should fail to drop for any reason, the blade still stops. If the Bosch should fail in the same manner, you're screwed. Blades are disposable, in my world they're all destined for the scrap bin. So why make any compromises in order to save one?

Last edited by Richard McComas; 06-06-2016 at 2:30 PM.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I've said it before, I don't want saving the blade to be part of the equation. With the SawStop, if the trunnion should fail to drop for any reason, the blade still stops. If the Bosch should fail in the same manner, you're screwed. Blades are disposable, in my world they're all destined for the scrap bin. So why make any compromises in order to save one?
    But that's not how the Sawtop works. It's the blade stopping (and only the blade stopping) that retracts the blade. If the blade doesn't stop, the blade won't retract. So it's not a redundant safety mechanism at all. If the blade drops, it's only because the spin has already stopped.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Hunsinger; 06-06-2016 at 8:09 PM.

Bosch email today says Reaxx is officially available to buy.

If you worry about the bosch compressed gas cylinders and mechanism failing to drop the spinning blade away from the user after being triggered, do you worry about the sawstop's mechanism failing to move the aluminum brake into the spinning blade after being triggered?

Here's another Reaxx review on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MaaxL8nGzI

Charley

Thanks, Charley -- Bosch did say earlier they would ship at the beginning of June. (I've been following the lawsuit with interest).

I am hoping to see a side-by-side comparison of the two saws. For instance, I really like the way the SawStop does a full blade lift with one turn of the crank. On the other hand, I prefer the Bosch approach to saving blades! I like the safety feature, but fit, finish, precision, durability, and fitting the way the saw works to my own needs is just as important.

It's just good to see some real competition out there so that I HAVE a choice.

Yes, of course. That's why I'm as careful as I can reasonably be. Every man-made system can fail. The next best thing is built in redundancy. My point is that more protection is better than less, and that I don't want less protection because it could save me a blade. Over the course of my career I will place myself at risk thousands of times, anything that increases my odds is a good thing, anything that lessens them is a bad thing.

I understand how the system works. The scenario I'm talking about is is most likely some obstruction or other mechanical stoppage that prevents the blade from dropping. In this scenario the Bosch simply continues cutting. Also, on the event of kickback type accident where the hand is pulled back and into the blade, even a stopped blade could do plenty of damage. So while we're not telling about a redundant mechanism we are talking about redundant protections.

I'm sure glad to see some competition for Sawstop, but I'm not ready to replace my PM 66 with a job site saw. I hope Bosch makes a good cabinet saw with this technoligy some day.

John