Thread: "Scrap" platter

"Scrap" platter

I put a piece of scrap-wood (maple) on the lathe yesterday, and turned it into a platter form (wasn't thick enough for a bowl). Part of it is natural-edged.

Screenshot 2016-06-06 at 8.56.11 AM.jpg

After rough-turning it, I cleaned up some of the soft areas, with picks. Here's a close-up of the soft-wood area:

Screenshot 2016-06-06 at 9.04.27 AM.png

I'm thinking that I'll fill these voids (not the edge), with an epoxy-coffee grounds mixture, then sand and finish the platter. I've kept it on the chuck, so I can put it back on the lathe without any wibble-wobble (technical term).

Does that sound like the right approach? I welcome any suggestions of another way.

Thanks.

Good morning, Robert,

I'm probably the odd man out, here, but I like voids being left open. Filled voids take away from the natural beauty that was there. Of course, I'm speaking of an art piece as I see in yours.
    Be Blessed

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin View Post
    Good morning, Robert,

I'm probably the odd man out, here, but I like voids being left open. Filled voids take away from the natural beauty that was there. Of course, I'm speaking of an art piece as I see in yours.
    +1 on this. I see it as an unusual and interesting art piece. Try to fill some of those voids and it will look like you didn't intend it to turn out that way.

I agree with George and David.....I think just leaving it alone looks the best. I have never been a fan of turnings that have been filled with some sort of color.

Like Barry, I do not care for the colored fillers. However, I use coffee grounds a lot and, while I like open voids in certain pieces, if this soft spot bothers you the coffee grounds will look very natural in the void.

There was was a recent thread discussing what glue to use with grounds and the responses were varied. Personally, I like plain wood glue - Titebond III for me because it is what I have in the shop. It is less messy than epoxy, and easier to use with grounds. Just mix some with the grounds and using a small dowel, stuff the void leaving the "fill" proud of the surface so it can be turned away or sanded flush.

Now that's my kind of platter. Just some protectant (poly?) and put it to use.

Wayne

I have never like the way filled voids looked if the filler was all the same color, regardless of the color. I know many people use filler and like it and more power to them. I do sometimes use a solid or metallic filler but it is always in a groove or something I cut as a detail.

Besides that type of detail, the only filling I was ever happy with was from gluing in thin strips of bark to build up what looked like a bark inclusion. I used CA glue. I picked pieces with enough color variation that the overall look was more natural.

JKJ

Thanks to all who commented.

I'm going to proceed with sanding, and probably WOP finish, generously applied, without filling these voids.

It is, after all, a display piece, not something for serving soft cheese and crackers!

I like to spray a light coat of Deft or similar to area before filling with CA or epoxy to prevent the CA or epoxy spreading outside the fill area. That is done prior to any finishing or final sanding and the sanding will remove the light coat of spray. Something to consider.

Working on finishing it now, using satin WOP. No filling of voids; did have to use some CA glue to keep a split from opening up.

Screenshot 2016-06-07 at 9.35.14 PM.jpg

Looks like you are going to have a really nice piece. Display in the stand and a little finish makes it stand out already.

Taking shape nicely Robert. Have you decided you like the defects showing at 9 o'clock best versus 12, 3 or 6 o'clock?
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Taking shape nicely Robert. Have you decided you like the defects showing at 9 o'clock best versus 12, 3 or 6 o'clock?
    I think the plainest part of the rim is what's at the bottom, as pictured.

Besides, can't you see the fish, facing to the right? Small notch for the lips, black eye, and rough-edged tail on the left. He's fat!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Marshall View Post
    I think the plainest part of the rim is what's at the bottom, as pictured.

Besides, can't you see the fish, facing to the right? Small notch for the lips, black eye, and rough-edged tail on the left. He's fat!
    Actually, I didn't notice it but thanks for pointing it out. Makes it even way more cooler of a piece. Guess this guppy had an encounter with a shark!!!
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA