Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D-Day, the 6th of June 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Lunt View Post
    Some americans seem to take it a bit personally when it's suggested that they weren't solely responsible for the defeat of the Axis powers....
    You're right. I'm not suggesting it's ok, but many don't know any better. I was well out of school when I learned just how badly the nazis had mauled the russians. We'd never been taught. ...... I've found a similar thing to be true about WW-I. Most people don't know that the US really didn't start fighting until about the last year or so of the war. Nor that france lost nearly an entire generation in that war........ If you ever wonder why the European great powers allowed hitler to get away with so much, for so long, go read about WW-I.

I say a grateful "thank you" to all the Allied Armed Forces who saved the world from the Axis.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-06-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You're right. I'm not suggesting it's ok, but many don't know any better. I was well out of school when I learned just how badly the nazis had mauled the russians. We'd never been taught. ...... I've found a similar thing to be true about WW-I. Most people don't know that the US really didn't start fighting until about the last year or so of the war. Nor that france lost nearly an entire generation in that war........ If you ever wonder why the European great powers allowed hitler to get away with so much, for so long, go read about WW-I.

I say a grateful "thank you" to all the Allied Armed Forces who saved the world from the Axis.
    I'm going from memory here, but I believe I read somewhere that Britain lost so many well educated men in WWI, men that were badly needed after the war, that they put a prohibition against certain well educated men from serving in front line service in WWII.

It was said about WWI that Britain lost a generation of men to the war.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-07-2016 at 10:43 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Von, Most of us who served in combat don't talk about it for a variety of reasons. First and foremost is that it is damn near impossible to convey to someone who hasn't experienced it the breadth of emotions, thoughts, sounds, feelings (vibrations), and smells of combat. Concurrent with that it is that it is not necessary to explain it to someone who has been there. Additionally, most people don't really want to know, or they want to know at the most superficial level. This is the prime reason that if veterans talk about combat at all they do so only among themselves and only among close friends. Emotionally, it is a subject we'd rather bury as much as possible. The remembrances are not pleasant ones.
    It wasn't that way with all Veterans. For example, my Uncle Gerald that I spoke of in an earlier post enjoyed telling me the stories. Although, he didn't do it with everyone. We would sit and he would tell me everything in great detail. He was an amazing story teller, and teacher. He went into great detail, not just relating the story, but he would describe the sounds and smells. As I said, he also taught me about history, primarily military history. He had several tails of General Patton that he loved to recount. His favorite was when they were in training. France was filled with hedge rows so they were practicing how to vault over them and come up fighting. Well they were training away and Patton comes rolling up in his Jeep. He watches for a minute and then starts chewing them out for not doing it right. He said, here I'll show you the right way to jump this hedge. He takes a run at it, vaults off the stool (the platform they set up to help them clear the hedge), and soars over the hedge with perfect style. Followed by a loud splash. Here he comes walking back around the hedge covered in mud from head to toe. He stopped in front of them and said THAT is how you vault a hedge! Then he went and got back into his Jeep and off he went. The best part of the story is that as soon as they heard the "splash" they all immediately snapped to attention, and not one of then had even the tiniest hint of a smile, grin, or snicker. Until, that is, his Jeep was out of earshot. Then they all burst out laughing, including their lieutenant.
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 06-07-2016 at 1:14 AM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ... WWI and Crimea....
    Mike
    I don't think you really mean the Crimean war in 1853 do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    It was said about WWI that Britain lost a generation of men to the war.

Mike
    I'm sure you must be right, Mike - they were both in it equally. The part about france always stuck with me because the article I read said that for years after WW-I, if a french male of "that age" got on a crowded bus in Paris, little old ladies would get up and give him their seat. It was a gesture of respect and a recognition that there were so very few of his age left alive. That really resonated with me.

Hi Mike, you only have to read J.R.R. Tolkiens biography to realize how many University students of that generation were lost.............Regards, Rod.

For Australia, the First World War remains the costliest conflict in terms of deaths and casualties. From a population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of whom more than 60,000 were killed and 156,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner. https://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/ww1/

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.c...casualties.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    For Australia, the First World War remains the costliest conflict in terms of deaths and casualties. From a population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of whom more than 60,000 were killed and 156,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner. https://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/ww1/

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.c...casualties.asp
    "The English will always fight to the last ...Canadian!" (From my reading, this also applied to the Aussies, Scots, Indian, and ....well just insert the colonial of choice.)

My grandfather was Canadian, said the above, and spent most of 4 yrs at a little WWI set-to called Vimy Ridge. He too spoke little of his experiences, other than the endless mud.

I don't think you really mean the Crimean war in 1853 do you?
    Corrected. Should have checked before posting.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It's not just military. My uncle, a civilian, landed at Normandy on June 7 and worked, under fire, to set up antennas and ground stations for this newfangled thing called RADAR. It wasn't until over 50 years later that he ever mentioned to anyone that he had been awarded the Medal of Freedom by President Truman (the highest civilian honor at the time, not the same thing as the current Presidential Medal of Freedom) for his work on developing and deploying radar systems during the war.

Blog Entries
    I really think they were the greatest generation. Very proud that my parents were part of them.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Veterans, for the freedom that my family and I enjoy today. Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. My father never spoke of bravery, he did speak of fear and confusion, and luck, on the extremely rare times he said anything about the war. He also never watched any war films, or volunteered that he had served overseas, nor did he ever wear his uniform to Remembrance Day ceremonies. When I was little we were walking to the Cenotaph when I noticed I had lost my poppy and started crying, Dad gave me his, then I was worried that other people would think he wasn't remembering the war. Years later I realized how silly that was, how could he have forgotten the worst 6 years of his life? When my Mom died in 2010, I cleaned out the house, found some service records, a uniform and a wedding photo, the only one I have of Dad in uniform. It's a surprise to realize what a handsome couple they made, and oh my gosh, were they young! The 3 boys in his family came home without injury, darn lucky. I once read "The Greatest Generation", after looking at all the relatives and friends whose parents were of that generation, I would have titled the book "The Broken Generation". Growing up during the depression most had their aspirations thwarted due to lack of income and the inability to afford an education. Then the war came, robbing the lucky of their remaining childhood/early adulthood, and the unlucky of their lives. They returned to a society that slipped backed into conformism, leaving them to work, be quiet about their mental injuries from the war, shut up, work, raise your family, do what was expected of you in the very narrow social norms of the period. They were a generation that received far less than we have. As my oldest brother said when my Mom died, "They were a generation forced to be of sterner stuff". While we appreciate their accomplishments, it's a good time to reflect on why we have to endeavor to never repeat those circumstances............Regards, Rod.
    Well said Rod, DDay always makes me think of my Dad landing on the beaches of France. He was always quiet about it, at 87 I got a few stories but after he passed I discovered my mother's scrapbooks which included an interview with my dad by a war correspondent. It was a terrible war and I'm sure many suffered silently afterwards for years but still raised a family and worked hard for a living-- as you noted, they really had no choice!

Not quite, the Soviet Union, who lost by far the largest number of casualties of all the allies, never left Europe. Also other landings had already taken place in 1943 in Italy.

That was one nasty fight. I'd not known much about the 'Eastern Front' except from Hogan's Heroes. We got a Roku, subscribed to Hulu and there were a couple Soviet/post Soviet series about the "Great Patriotic War". Once the Red Army began their advance westward and saw what the Germans had done to their conquered lands and people, any inclination to treat captured Germans decently vanished. Something like 100,000 Germans were captured at Stalingrad. They were in bad shape when captured and it didn't get any better. About 5,000 made it back to Germany - 10 years later.

Soviet POWs like Jews and other 'untermenschen' were kept in conditions that guaranteed they would not survive long and a great many didn't. About 6 million Jews perished in the Holocaust but the total body count was by some sources around 13 million. I guess this received short shrift in the West due to the cold war.

Interesting piece of history is in the book "Russia against Napoleon" by Dominic Lieven. (Warning: It is a tough read due to its academic approach.) The Russian mind-set, preparation, actions, and results have amazing parallels between Napoleon and Hitler. And perhaps even provide a peek into Putin's actions?