Thread: Recycled 4x4s...they were...

Cool Recycled 4x4s...they were...

Into a rocking chair.
    two rockers.jpg
    The white rocker was used as a pattern. The brown rocker came from resawn 4x4s ( non-treated ones) and a few store-bought items. Lathe wasn't long enough to turn the post....spokeshaves and drawknives were used
    rocking chairs.jpg
    As I am not really a Chair Builder, this was my first attempt at a rocking chair.......has a nice creaking sound when I rock in it...

Mr. Newman that chair is awesome! outstanding job! Ive always wanted to try making a rocker but I can already see the first time some one other that me sits in it ...Smash!....and then the subsequent broken ankle ... Great work !!

Thanks. You never know what a project would be like, until you start one. This was a bit of a challenge for me. Could not afford any high priced lumber for it, so had to make do. pattern rocker used screws only in all of it's joints....I figured i could at least do better than that..

That is outstanding work. A beautiful chair, and it's humble beginnings give it character. I'm still using patio furniture made of HD 2 x 4 's, though it's nowhere close to the level of your work. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years. Very nice!

Nice job Steven!

A 2nd coat of the Witch's Brew is now drying..
    front view.jpg
    Found a few spots that I had missed with the first coat.
    back view.jpg
    Mainly back here. Got those covered...now
    side view.jpg
    Seems to have found a home out there on the back porch...

Well, now that those two coats have cured out.....gave it a test ride today......very comfy to just sit and rock in. Not sure IF I really needed those safety turn-backs on the rockers....

Seems to be that cushions will be needed. Forget to round the front edges of the seat slats...oooops. This was pointed out when my son gave it a test ride....wearing shorts. $15 at Walllie World for a set of cushions for it...no biggie.