Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daily Report: AAW Atlanta Symposium

I use the Rolly Munro cutter for all my boring. It's a hooded carbide circular cutter same as my friend Steve Sinner uses. Between us we have hollowed well over a thousand vessels using the Rolly Munro cutter. We don't have any problem with them clogging, or having to take too small of a cut. Steve has many of his systems out there with many happy customers using the same Rolly Munro cutter.
    I was working in Steve's booth right around the corner from you Reed. I wish you would have taken a minute to come and try using the Rolly Munro cutter. We had it set up on a Advanced Lathe Tools mini hollowing system for people to try out.
    Like Reed said there was no shortage of different types of systems. From simple & effective quick to set-up, to way to complicated with too many unnecessary parts and time consuming set-ups. But it is interesting seeing them all in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    There were a plethora of hollowing machines there.... Probably the most displayed item other than lathes. Not sure what to make out of all of them. I don't remember seeing Alan Trout's there, but I could have missed it. I can't really think of one that stood out to me, but I wasn't paying close attention. I chatted with Lyle about his system and he uses a small Hunter cutter, and it looks pretty efficient, and asked him about the ring cutters, and he didn't think they were the best for the same reasons I do, which is the top caps that are chip limiters either get clogged up almost instantly if they are too open, or barely cut, and they are big cutters to have way out on the end of a pole. I commented about hook tools, and how they shear cut rather than scrape like most cutters do, and he prefers the carbide discs because they at least can do that across the bottoms. I need to explore hook tools..... I did play on a Vickmark lathe, and want to try their pivoting headstock. I was next to Brent English and the Robust booth, and the new Scout lathe looks really nice, though I didn't get to play on one. I took a bunch of Oregon Myrtle wood and didn't sell much, so gave a bunch away to the kids section which was in the trade show area. Tonight I get to sleep in my own bed.

Deserts??? Well, I had bread pudding at Pittypatty's what tasted like it was about 80 proof..., and Death by Chocolate brownie at an Irish pub..... Good food all round, and a really friendly city.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    I use the Rolly Munro cutter for all my boring. It's a hooded carbide circular cutter same as my friend Steve Sinner uses. Between us we have hollowed well over a thousand vessels using the Rolly Munro cutter. We don't have any problem with them clogging, or having to take too small of a cut. Steve has many of his systems out there with many happy customers using the same Rolly Munro cutter.
    I was working in Steve's booth right around the corner from you Reed. I wish you would have taken a minute to come and try using the Rolly Munro cutter. We had it set up on a Advanced Lathe Tools mini hollowing system for people to try out.
    Like Reed said there was no shortage of different types of systems. From simple & effective quick to set-up, to way to complicated with too many unnecessary parts and time consuming set-ups. But it is interesting seeing them all in one place.

Joe I was so happy to finally meet you after all these years. I love the work that you and Steve do and would love to have you teach me. You guys do museum quality work. The piece you sold was just beautiful. The Rolly Monro cutter was fun to use. It was the first time I was able to cut with it. With a few sales I might afford one. Tell Steve Hi

Joe, I didn't check out your hollowing system. I did see that big system inbetween us. They had a very interesting carbide cutter, made for cutting aluminum, that worked great for wet wood, but they said it wouldn't cut dry wood. I couldn't feel any edge on it at all, set at maybe a 20 degree angle, so not really scrape cut, and not really shear either. I think the hooded cutter I got was a Beaver brand or some thing like that from Craft Supplies. Though I don't have much experience with them, I have always felt they should be at shear angles rather than scraping angles. More toys to play with....

Saw this over on the AAW site:

http://www.mwtca.org/images/stories/...lumn/160-5.jpg

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 06-16-2016 at 1:33 AM.

Thanks for the kind words Ron. It was great to meet you too. From what I've seen it looks like your doing some really fine work too. I think we talked about the reasons that Steve & I may not be having any more classes at least not any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I would love to get impressions of any of the top hollowing systems that are present. For instance, is Alan Trout's Pro-rail system there?
    Brian,
    Funny you should mention Alan,
    I bought his old Monster system from him and I just love it.
    I can only dream how nice his Pro-rail rig is.