Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Report: AAW Atlanta Symposium

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Daily Report: AAW Atlanta Symposium

I couldn't attend this year, but I'm hoping some of the turners who are in Atlanta might post comments and photos of some of the highlights.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Hmmmm...guess there's nothing unique and interesting going on.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Hmmmm...guess there's nothing unique and interesting going on.
    I'm afraid it's the contrary. Lots of unique and interesting things going on that they have no time for SMC! Come on folks, it's a dessert here!

Dessert? Did someone say something about cake and ice cream?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

This will give you a sense of how big the Instant Gallery was. Sorry, didn't get pix of much else.. One side is the instant gallery, the other side is the bowls (for something something) and the beads of courage, and way in the back there's the auction items (which were spectacular, by the way).
    BeadsBowlsBodacious.jpgInstantGallery.jpg
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Is that the piece that David Marks did. If so that thing was a huge piece of wood when he started it and I think he dried it by soaking it in alcohol.

And price tag of only $50,000.
    Pocket change.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Wonderful dessert for this desert.

Gorgeous pieces as usual. Thanks for the update.

In other news, Jet showed two new lathes - the 1840EVS and 1840DVR. Both 2hp 220v machines. The DVR uses a motor from Nova, no belt changes and good low end torque, it is claimed. Priced around $3500 and $4000 respectively, both come with remote cut off switches and will be available in August. Very similar in looks to their little brother, the 1 1/2hp 1640EVS.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I would love to get impressions of any of the top hollowing systems that are present. For instance, is Alan Trout's Pro-rail system there?
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 06-13-2016 at 9:20 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

There were a plethora of hollowing machines there.... Probably the most displayed item other than lathes. Not sure what to make out of all of them. I don't remember seeing Alan Trout's there, but I could have missed it. I can't really think of one that stood out to me, but I wasn't paying close attention. I chatted with Lyle about his system and he uses a small Hunter cutter, and it looks pretty efficient, and asked him about the ring cutters, and he didn't think they were the best for the same reasons I do, which is the top caps that are chip limiters either get clogged up almost instantly if they are too open, or barely cut, and they are big cutters to have way out on the end of a pole. I commented about hook tools, and how they shear cut rather than scrape like most cutters do, and he prefers the carbide discs because they at least can do that across the bottoms. I need to explore hook tools..... I did play on a Vickmark lathe, and want to try their pivoting headstock. I was next to Brent English and the Robust booth, and the new Scout lathe looks really nice, though I didn't get to play on one. I took a bunch of Oregon Myrtle wood and didn't sell much, so gave a bunch away to the kids section which was in the trade show area. Tonight I get to sleep in my own bed.

Deserts??? Well, I had bread pudding at Pittypatty's what tasted like it was about 80 proof..., and Death by Chocolate brownie at an Irish pub..... Good food all round, and a really friendly city.

robo hippy

For all who were unable to attend, I'm sorry to say that you missed this:
    (sorry, I tried uploading three times and it keeps turning sideways)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-14-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Rotated image

Brian,
    I have the Monster Articulated System and am very happy with it, but if I was looking for a new system I would look at the Trent Bosch system. Either the 5/8" or the 3/4" would be great systems. He also has the Video feature so you can see Virtually inside the HF you are working on and can get the walls very consistent. A standard laser pointer will also get the job done.
    Good luck looking for a Hollowing System. If you are going to big and deep Hollow Forms then a Captured Rig is probably the best and Lyle Jamison makes a really good one.
    Peter F.