Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How are these items made

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I don't get your link , what does it have to do with this thread?
    It's the description of the ship piece for the game...scroll down, it talks about the same attributes printed in the piece.

(I suspect there are several versions of this game, both online and as a board game. Don't know for sure, not really my thing.)
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 06-07-2016 at 8:46 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Sorry Lee I wasn't reading I was looking for picture of the piece , Matt s post shows the piece Thanks both

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    It's the description of the ship piece for the game...scroll down, it talks about the same attributes printed in the piece.

(I suspect there are several versions of this game, both online and as a board game. Don't know for sure, not really my thing.)
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If the logo and text are raised then it is probably thermo compressed blue tinted plex. We do this process in making ADA signage. We can achieve a 1 piece ADA sign with a true domed braille. It a really neat process. Much more durable than photopolymer. Our signs look just like this only the plex is clear.

So all you professionals can guess this? Its textured clear vinyl stuck to acrylic - real simple, and it explains why it appears "raised" like the OP said. My graphics guy does this all the time. He has a CNC knife that cuts the PSA clear texture vinyl (see lots of it at decorativefilms.com) then weeds out the liner and laminates to acrylic, then weeds out the waste. Somewhat more production efficient than lasering, although laser engraving is perfect.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

There is clear banding on the product which is indicative of laser engraving. This is a laser engraved translucent cast acrylic. I'm honestly perplexed how anyone could think it's anything different.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    There is clear banding on the product which is indicative of laser engraving. This is a laser engraved translucent cast acrylic. I'm honestly perplexed how anyone could think it's anything different.
    Yup, I agree, it is engraved. The raised appearance is an illusion.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    So all you professionals can guess this? Its textured clear vinyl stuck to acrylic - real simple, and it explains why it appears "raised" like the OP said. My graphics guy does this all the time. He has a CNC knife that cuts the PSA clear texture vinyl (see lots of it at decorativefilms.com) then weeds out the liner and laminates to acrylic, then weeds out the waste. Somewhat more production efficient than lasering, although laser engraving is perfect.
    Not a bad way to make them if they were much larger, say 6"x24", and you had to make a handful of them. These are more like 1"x4": your graphics guy would be cursing your name the whole time if you asked him to weed the tiny lettering on a couple hundred of these.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

If you don't have a sample to match then who cares exactly how it's done? I'd throw some acrylic in my laser and go to town on it - done.

Pontianak, West Borneo. Cimahi, West Java-Indonesia
    Maybe it is marked with a MOPA fiber laser,or just plain fiber laser. Though fiber laser wavelenght doesnt affect plexiglass, it may react with its colorant.
    The laser heats up the pigment, resulting in subsurface bubble that looks white due to the way tye bubbles are reflecting light.
    Fiber laser does this sub surface bubbling thing with many plastic colorants. Just slight rise on the surface without surface ruptures.

Tommy