Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas skew block.

Veritas skew block.

I ordered the LV skew block. I use the new style Lie Nielsen honing guide for sharpening. Will this even work?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cooper Louisiana View Post
    I ordered the LV skew block. I use the new style Lie Nielsen honing guide for sharpening. Will this even work?
    It likely will need a special holder to hold it at the proper skew angle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Let's face it. You are skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    So, George, how long have you been waiting to drop that one?

That joke alone makes it worth it. Maybe someone has a solution for me though!

I have two of the LN skew block planes. It's been a while since I sharpened them, but I think what I did was use the LV MKII jig and clamp it so that the edge was square to the stone. I eyeballed the angle.

But that was some time ago and I may or may not have remembered correctly.

The reason it's been a long time since I sharpened them is that I don't use them very much. I mostly use a regular block plane. The skew block planes are for certain cuts and I don't do them much.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I ordered a slew block last night too. I bounced back and forth between the skew and the low angle block until I had no more time, at which point the skew was the one that happened to be in my cart. I really have no idea whether it'll be the right thing, so I'll check out their return policies to make sure I don't do anything that would prevent me from exchanging it.

I don't love my MK-I for most tools, but its simple angle setting jig should make sharpening the skew blade doable. If I were you I might try freehanding it before dropping the money because it sounds like all you'll need to do is hone a microbevel, which sounds pretty low risk to me.

What you have to do is learn to move your arms like a steam engine while sawing or sharpening. Thus not changing angle at all. If you will google George Wilson Harpsichord and start looking at my old 1974 movie,when I am shown sawing off the ivory tusk for the keyboard,take a look(I don't know which of the 6 sections it will be in): My saw is going dead straight back and forth. there is no up and down motion or waggling of the saw. just pure back and forth motion.

This takes practice as your elbows naturally want to travel in ARCS,or circular motion since the elbows and shoulder joints are both swinging in circular motions.

I never did this,but I suppose you could practice in front of a mirror set on your work bench while sharpening. Then learn how to push your blade smoothly back and forth while holding it at a very fixed angle. When you have mastered this,you can accurately maintain the sharpening or sawing motion. You can hone flat bevels without rounding them over( unless you WANT rounded bevels).

About the joke: No,it just happened to pop into my dirty little mind!
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-08-2016 at 8:00 AM.

I hollow grind skew blades, and then simply freehand on the hollows. Quick and easy!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Doesn't LN make a skew-blade gizmo to fit on their new sharpening guide? At least for the LN skew blades, don't know about LV blades.
    David

Same here,Derek. These sharpening threads keep on popping up forever. It shows that MANY guys are afraid of sharpening. It is just a skill that needs to be learned. No one EVER showed me how to sharpen. I just did it. And,when I was a teenager,I was totally unaware of sharpening jigs. Couldn't have afforded one even if I had seen one.

Blog Entries
    I hone my Lie Nielsen skew block iron on a diamond hone. If you place the hone on the bench in front of you, turned across your body, place the iron on the hone, forefinger holding the iron flush with the hone, stroke the iron cross body by rocking back and forth. Lock your arms and hands, and wrist, - you can sharpen the edge like it is in honing guide. Try it, it works! All of the movement takes place in your legs and hips. The iron or chisel in your hand stays in close contact with hone with out rocking.

I hone all chisels and plane irons using this technique.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-08-2016 at 9:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Derek. Much easier to do them by hand once they have the hollow grind. I "skew" the bevels across my stones anyway, so I can do blades wider than 2" on a 2" stone.

Ralph Beaumont, here and/or at his blog, did some testing with the LN skew guide and the LV skew rabbet. Wouldn't work.

I am not familiar with the angles of the LV skew block

Beautiful. Masterfully done.