Thread: A "how to" question

Question A "how to" question

Plan to sell a mitre box and saw in a week or so......questions

How does one ship one of these things?

Tear it down? Packing the 20" saw?

Never had to ship one of these things before. Saws? Yes, but not a mitrebox and a saw together.

I doubt IF a "flat rate" box is made for such things. Recommend a shipping & handling charge? Not sure what to charge.

Not trying to sell it here, mind you. That "auction site" is where it will go. Just need a bit of info, is all. Anyone ever ship one of these?

(pictures if you want them, if not..)

I haven't shipped one, but I would probably list it as price plus shipping. I would then indicate that shipping may vary depending if shipped assembled or dissasembled...buyers choice. You could probably search for one on the auction site and see what others are charging for shipping.

Blog Entries
    Pack it before you list it and take it to the Post Office and have it weighed.

That is one solution I have thought of for such situations. I haven't tried it yet, but I think they would help if you told them the story. It may also be convenient to do the same at a UPS store if one of those is closer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Pack it before you list it and take it to the Post Office and have it weighed.

That is one solution I have thought of for such situations. I haven't tried it yet, but I think they would help if you told them the story. It may also be convenient to do the same at a UPS store if one of those is closer.

jtk
    These days most post offices have a self serve kiosk with a scale that you can just plop your item down on to get a weight without even starting the buying process.

Don't worry about bugging the guy at the counter, though. He's a public servant, not someone who's going to lose a profit if you don't spend money!

May depend on your buyer. Those things need a bit of tuning and adjustment to cut properly, and depending on who you are selling it to the reassembly and adjustment could be an issue.

Hi Steven

I've been there a few times.

You need to pack the mitre box first - it is sometimes not just about weight as about the size of the package.

You need to account for padding. Don't forget that this is built of cast iron, and there are parts that are fragile if they move. Use bubble wrap and wedge in newspaper ball or, preferably, foam chips.

You can dissemble as much as possible to minimise the space required and the vulnerability of parts.

Charge for all packing materials. You can even charge for your time.

If this is going on eBay, the photos in the advert are your protection. Otherwise take photos of the before and packed parts.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for your replies. Both the mitrebox w/saw and a few other items just went on the "block" I'm letting the site do the shipping cost calculations.....

On the mitre box: I listed that I will do a tear down to aid in shipping, including the saw's handle packed seperately. Have seen way too many of USPS's antics throwing a box around. I pack as securely as I can, whether a block plane or a blacksmith's post vise.