Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Bar-B-Q Chefs in the Creek?

When I read about "no mustard" the thought of anyone using mustard appeared ludicrous. Then the cable TV aired some shows on Bar-B-Q where one person used a lather of mustard. While the shows proved interesting, they didn't divulge any pertinent information.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    When I read about "no mustard" the thought of anyone using mustard appeared ludicrous. Then the cable TV aired some shows on Bar-B-Q where one person used a lather of mustard. While the shows proved interesting, they didn't divulge any pertinent information.
    I add Mustard powder- not mustard out of a jar.

Whut??!!!! Did somebody mention BBQ??? Smoked ribs??? Pork Butt on the Barb-B-Q???

I was born and raised in the south...and we know all about BBQ.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

They might use it to get the dry rub to adhere.

But I read on AmazingRibs that "South Carolina" recipes can use mustard.

I Yankee BBQ. Kraft sauce on my Bubba burger cooked on my gas grill.

Korean BBQ all the way.

My dad's barbecue sauce was made with butter, Taylor Port wine and Lee & Perrins Worsheshire Sauce. (not spelled correctly...) It was outstanding on chicken for sure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rich, how about Arthur Bryant's style sauce? My out of town visitors think its pretty different. For you non-KC folks, its peppery and somewhat gritty verses sweet and ketchup-y,

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Rich, how about Arthur Bryant's style sauce? My out of town visitors think its pretty different. For you non-KC folks, its peppery and somewhat gritty verses sweet and ketchup-y,
    Stan, I am from Kansas City and they want a different type of Bar-B-Q. I visit on a regular basis and prefer Gates to Bryant's. I even eat at Rosedale and Wyandotte Bar-B-Q from time to time.

Although I have some favorites, who can pick just one style? Not me, bub. Carolina style encompasses those found in eastern and western (Lexington) North Carolina and some types found in South Carolina, including one made with mustard. My favorite is eastern NC style but I like sweet sauces as well. My usual home-made style is a tomato-based root beer sauce.

Pork butt comes out of my smoker most often but I also 'cue ribs and brisket and I smoke semi-cure pork chops, turkey breasts, jerky, and cheeses. I'm also a hobbyist charcuter. I make a few styles of sausage and "Canadian" bacon.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Rich, have you been to Woodyard BBQ in Merriam? They sell wood - several different kinds - to all the other BBQ joints in town. The whole back lot is full of piles of wood. Besides the BBQ they sell, its of interest to woodworkers to see.

Sweet,salty,sour,and bitter are the original four tastes....google the fifth.IIRC,it's discovery is about 100 years ago.Follow the timeline to the early 1970's to see what happened.May very well be the "taste",you're looking for,just sayin.

So many times I read that people are having a BBQ, and what they are actually doing is "Grilling Out" by cooking hamburgers & hot dogs. In the South, BBQ is sacred. In the South, if you are having a BBQ, that means chickens or pigs. In SC, we have 3 different types of BBQ, the up-state has a catsup base BBQ, the midlands have a mustard base, and the low country has vinegar & pepper (red pepper & black pepper).. When we have BBQ, we have mustard base or vinegar & pepper. The vinegar & pepper is what we have when we have a "Low Country Pig Picking". The pig is cooked over oak coals for 8 - 10 hours, and then BBQ'ed for 2 - 3 hours. If this is done right, this is super good BBQ.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    So many times I read that people are having a BBQ, and what they are actually doing is "Grilling Out" by cooking hamburgers & hot dogs. In the South, BBQ is sacred. In the South, if you are having a BBQ, that means chickens or pigs. In SC, we have 3 different types of BBQ, the up-state has a catsup base BBQ, the midlands have a mustard base, and the low country has vinegar & pepper (red pepper & black pepper).. When we have BBQ, we have mustard base or vinegar & pepper. The vinegar & pepper is what we have when we have a "Low Country Pig Picking". The pig is cooked over oak coals for 8 - 10 hours, and then BBQ'ed for 2 - 3 hours. If this is done right, this is super good BBQ.
    That's what I'm talking about...right there.!!!! Good eatin' right there!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.