Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellowstone. ....

Another hidden gem in Idaho just outside West Yellowstone, MT is Mesa Falls.

mf.jpg
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Mike, when I got out of the Navy, I took a job and ended up in Bend, OR. for 20 months until I got promoted to management. My In-laws came out to visit us in Bend, and then drove to Dayton, WA to visit some Army friends they had been with in Texas during WWII. The friends advised them to drive the 200 mile drive on US-12 from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT as it was the prettiest drive in the country. Later I got promoted to management in Chicago. Hated it with a passion, stepped down and requested a transfer back to the NW. 2 1/2 years after I put in my request, a competitor offered me a management position in Cody, Wy and magically, after 2 1/2 of years of "Sorry no positions open out there" my employer found a position for me in Lewiston. We moved here in 1982. I have made that 200 mile drive dozens of times. It never, never gets uninteresting. There is beauty there winter and summer.
    the whole area is beautiful. I wanted to do that road on my bike because of the many curves. Nothing like curves on a motorcycle but doesn't leave room for sight seeing. Solution is to stop frequently. If I get to do it I'll have to put on my auxiliary fuel tank. BTW still a no go on the CI after 3 years. I'm taking part in a study at the clinic that lasts 4 weeks starting in a few days and then will have a new AB implementation of the eSRT ( electrical stapedial reflex threshold) test in July. Not sure what the new implementation is but evidently involved quite a bit of research by AB.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Mike, I don't know how long it's been since you traveled US-12 but in the last few years, they have added a lot of paved areas to pull off the road.

Sorry to hear about your hearing and CI problems. I can appreciate them.

I began having some problems 2 weeks ago. With a diagnosis of Meniere's disease, my hearing fluctuates. Two weeks ago I developed some distortion in my CI hearing. Then I began having minor vertigo attacks. I have taken medicine for over 15 years to hold off the vertigo attacks and I take it every morning. I have a spare sound processor and swapped it out with no effect on my hearing. I was supposed to drive to California to join my wife next Tuesday but with the sudden intermittent vertigo attacks, I didn't want to become a highway fatality statistic so my wife is flying home on Saturday. In the mean time, I managed to get an appointment to have my CI tested and get remapped on Wednesday. My wife and I will depart for California from my appointment in Spokane. 3 of our grandkids go to a Montessori school and it will be out for several weeks before starting their summer program. We are going to babysit there for 1 week and then bring the twin 6 year old granddaughters home with us for 2 weeks. Their Mommy and little brother will drive up a week later, join us for a week and then return home with the kids.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity that I see from tourists. "Don't touch the fire coral. It's called fire coral for a reason- it will burn you." (moments later) "Ouch! I touched this coral and it burned me. You should warn people about that." Right.

We call them "tourons" i.e. Tourist + Moron. Don't even get me started on the "credit card captains" that rent boats down here having only driven a bass boat on a lake.

Note: We do love our tourists and appreciate their visit. I try to help them out as much as possible, even when they walk into my house and say, "Is this the synagogue?" No, this is my house. The synagogue is two doors down on the left. (Never apologizes for walking into my house, or even act like they were embarrassed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    We were fortunate to stay a few days at the historic Yellowstone lodge a couple of years ago. I had a buffalo steak in the restaurant there.
    I wonder if they harvest the buffalo from inside the park? That could be what the park rangers do for extra spending $.

They aren't allowed to hunt or shoot the animals in the park, Pat. They aren't even allowed to remove trees that have fallen which would make good firewood.

We had bison stew for dinner one evening on an evening wildlife tour. They assured us it was made with ranch raised bison.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    "You can't fix stupid"
    Occasionally nature provides a permanent cure for the stupid.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Which of us was harassing the sheep?
    You were, unfortunately. Denali is a national park, please follow the rules of the park.

We all seem to think we can chose which of societies rules don't apply to us, whether it's stalking sheep, getting off the boardwalk at Yellowstone, or taking the guards off our TS. Rules are only for other (stupid) people.

I'd like to say please don't take this personally, but doubt that's possible. Que sera. Glad you didn't get hurt!
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 06-09-2016 at 2:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Didn't they just have to euthanize a bison because someone wanted to turn the young bison into a pet?
    Actually, to be fair, the media got that one wrong. The father and son who were the tourist actually were experienced in wildlife rescue and were only doing what they had done on numerous times as they had been trained and instructed to do. The baby had already been abandoned by the herd and would have been eventually killed by it's natural predators. They had hoped to prevent that fate but it didn't work out that way.

They were interviewed on Good Morning America and in my opinion were very sincere and upset that their actions had been so poorly represented by others who did not bother to get the facts before alerting the world.

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    They aren't allowed to hunt or shoot the animals in the park, Pat. They aren't even allowed to remove trees that have fallen which would make good firewood.

We had bison stew for dinner one evening on an evening wildlife tour. They assured us it was made with ranch raised bison.

Ted Turner had a nice little business raising bison for food at one time. Apparently they're kinda hard on fences though.

Ken,

My wife is a waterfall freak.

She is pining over this falls.

thanks.
    Last edited by Tony Zona; 06-10-2016 at 7:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Ken,

my my wife is a waterfall freak.

thanks.
    was that a sincere thanks?. In any case it sounds like Tony is in for a trip
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Ken,

my my wife is a waterfall freak.

thanks.
    Tony,

That falls is about 35 miles SSW from Yellowstone National Park. Of course if you are in the area, you need to see these 4 located within the park:

f1.jpgf2.jpgf3.jpgf4.jpg

...and then a side trip to central Washington will provide this:

f5.jpg

BTW....The best time to see any of the waterfalls in the west is in May or early June when we are getting our spring snow runoff.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-10-2016 at 6:53 PM.
    Ken