Thread: What are ways to attach a trim piece (5/4 Decking) to the perimeter of benchtop?

What are ways to attach a trim piece (5/4 Decking) to the perimeter of benchtop?

I made a benchtop by gluing together Douglas Fir 2x4s, face-to-face. I saw some Dark Red Meranti Decking at my big box store and figured I could use them as trim pieces, to contrast against the reddish/yellow DF of the benchtop.

I could glue the faces together but that's no fun. Could also do a floating-tenon + glue combo along the perimeter but that's also no fun.

I was wondering what other face-to-face joints I could use to put on the 5/4" x 3.5" trim piece around the benchtop.

Best,
    MT

Well of course there is always decorative screws - some nice bronze # 10 counter sunk flush or pan heads - or nails of some sort.

Other options :

• use Dominos - easy and fun but a bit pricey if you don't already own the Domino.

• Biscuits - easy but not so accurate as the Dominos but certainly good enough to flush the top of the boards. Fun enough if you have the right attitude

• Rout a 3/8" slot around the perimeter of the bench and then a matching slot in your face boards. Attach the two with a well fitted spline and glue. Need more clamps and more patience than with the other options but all possible.

And there you have a few suggestions.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    I have had 3" thick benchtops with the trim just glued on and with the trim splined on for strength. Both have worked well.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-10-2016 at 8:18 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I added birch trim around a 1.5" MDF sandwhich for a side bench in my shop. I used biscuits, 2 #0s every 18 inches or so. Pin-nailed the mitered ends. Quick flush on top with a block plane. Still looking great after 7 or 8 years.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher