Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Promise Kept....

A Promise Kept....

Hi -

I said I'd post pictures of the first pre-production large plow planes, so here are a few views of one of the first three made.

While I can't go into a ton of detail on what will/will not be part of the production release, I can guarantee a couple of surprises.

I should also point out, that few people within the company have seen the actual planes, or have any details about function, pricing, or dates .... they'll be seeing it here for the first time too.

Our plan is to have production available early fall 2017. There's a lot of tooling on this one, and we start the pattern work in about six weeks time, when the design is locked down. If we can do it faster, we will. I also anticipate setting a pre-order price for this one (it's nice to have a "bump" in sales to offset the capital outlay!). Again - we will set this as soon as we are confident that our costing is correct.

So, without further ado (and adieu),

Rob
    lp1.jpg
    lp2.jpg
    lp3.jpg
    lp4.jpg

Rob,

Pretty neat!

The gripe on metal plow planes has been that it is hard to keep the fence from slipping. How have you overcome that issue?

Stew

I wish I had one of those next week. I look forward to the day that I can see how far I can throw the Record 044C that I bought new. Rob, if you don't have one in your collection, I'll send it to you. I still have the box it came in too, I believe. It's not fit to use for anything, but still looks almost new after 35 or 40 years. The depth stop on it used a screw that expanded a soft plastic sleeve as the lock, and was always completely worthless.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-10-2016 at 4:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Rob,

Pretty neat!

The gripe on metal plow planes has been that it is hard to keep the fence from slipping. How have you overcome that issue?

Stew
    Hi Stew -

I can confirm fence movement is not an issue on this plane.... (he says, avoiding the question)....

As we're still validating our decisions, which means testing of all functions by multiple users, and finalizing the exact design, I'm going to have to pass on answering design decisions until they're final. That's the trade-off for posting early pics....!

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Rob,

That is good news! I bet it will be a popular plane, that being the case. Overcoming the movement issue is the main thing, I guess. I don't think how you folks did it will be nearly as important to most of us as that you did.

Stew

Looks Great Rob! Thanks for the pictures. Looks robust and solid.

I'm wondering if it MAY accept Stanley's #55 combination plane blades? Just curiosity since you're still in design mode.

Ya don't ask, ya don't get.

Thanks for the preview Rob! (And BTW, thanks for offerring the upgrade kit for my small plow. Very glad I did that.)

Stew - FWIW, the fence doesn't slip on my LV Small Plow Plane.

Just take my money now.

Like others I don't have fence-slippage problems on the plow (or any of Veritas' other collet-based designs for that matter).

The fine adjustment knob for the fence seems to be a good idea. Also two depth stop when dealing with larger blades should help.

I do have fence slippage problems but not with the small plow plane, it's with the skew rabbet plane.
    Last edited by Normand Leblanc; 06-10-2016 at 8:17 PM. Reason: a rabbit vs a rabbet

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bates View Post
    Looks Great Rob! Thanks for the pictures. Looks robust and solid.

I'm wondering if it MAY accept Stanley's #55 combination plane blades? Just curiosity since you're still in design mode.

Ya don't ask, ya don't get.
    Stanley and Record Steve.....

Cheers,

Rob

I love it for no other reason than the umteem brass knobs...how cool is that.

I always wonder why some have reported slippage problems with the fence or even the old depth stop. I have owned the skew and plow not longer after they were released and used them on many projects -- many more than their average users, I'm sure -- and have never slipped on the stop or fence. I suspect dull cutters or over use of force contributed to many, if not all, of the slippage problems reported. I know someone has come up with a strap product that is supposed to be used to tighten the fence knob. Finger force -- plus sharp cutters and gentle pushes -- is all that is needed in my case.

Simon

I like the old box.

Blog Entries
    I always wonder why some have reported slippage problems with the fence or even the old depth stop.
    When you are older and dealing with arthritis you will no longer wonder.

Rob,

Looks like a great plane. I also like the dual depth stops. I find them especially helpful with beading work.

My only concern is there doesn't seem to be a locking device for the adjustable fence. Maybe I am just used to my old Stanley #45 and its ways.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    When you are older and dealing with arthritis you will no longer wonder.

Rob,

Looks like a great plane. I also like the dual depth stops. I find them especially helpful with beading work.

My only concern is there doesn't seem to be a locking device for the adjustable fence. Maybe I am just used to my old Stanley #45 and its ways.

jtk
    Hi Jim -

No worries, the fence locks. Not everything is visible ( or shown ) in the photos. We are still working on some design elements, and testing some decisions.

What you see is the basic form of the design...but not the final one.

Cheers,

Rob