Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Promise Kept....

Thanks. Never thought of that as others gave me the impression that it was a design issue causing the slippages.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Thanks. Never thought of that as others gave me the impression that it was a design issue causing the slippages.

Simon
    Opinions differ on that count. As a (lapsed) mechanical engineer I think that the existing fence retention on the Plow was/is overkill, if anything. With that said I've worked on plenty of programs where we engaged in overkill because customers demanded it :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I always wonder why some have reported slippage problems with the fence or even the old depth stop. I have owned the skew and plow not longer after they were released and used them on many projects -- many more than their average users, I'm sure -- and have never slipped on the stop or fence. I suspect dull cutters or over use of force contributed to many, if not all, of the slippage problems reported. I know someone has come up with a strap product that is supposed to be used to tighten the fence knob. Finger force -- plus sharp cutters and gentle pushes -- is all that is needed in my case.

Simon
    It does seem strange ... but my depth stop slipped day one. I just thought it was technique, but as I learned going forward, it never improved. I got the upgrade though .. .problem solved.

Not that I can see but will this plane have nickers for doing dadoes? . .. EDIT: NVM, I see them now.
    Last edited by Mark AJ Allen; 06-12-2016 at 8:25 AM.

This got me thinking. I'm not familiar with these planes, but would like one in the near future. At what point (size of stock, groove, etc, ?) would you move to a large plow plane versus the small plow plane? In other words, what are the unique advantages of small vs large?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    This got me thinking. I'm not familiar with these planes, but would like one in the near future. At what point (size of stock, groove, etc, ?) would you move to a large plow plane versus the small plow plane? In other words, what are the unique advantages of small vs large?

Thanks!
    Phil,

My only comparison to address your question comes from using a large plow plane like the Stanley #45 and a small plow plane like the Stanley #50.

The #50 is great and easy to use on small grooves of ~1/2" or less. Having a bit more mass helps when working with the wider blades, rabbeting, beading or tongue and groove cutting. The #45 is able to do the small work, it just isn't as agile.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. Will have to give this some thought.

Rob,

That's great news. Thanks so much for the heads-up.
    Gary

Hey... I just noticed... NICKERS!!! Well alright!
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

The handle position is strange. As the pushing force is to the right of the blade it will try and skew the blade to the left pushing the fence away from the work. This seems counter productive. The pushing force between the fence and the blade left would keep the fence in contact and make more sense. It seems a second handle to push the fence against the work will be needed. No escaping Newton's Laws!

Eleven brass knobs; must be some kind of Record!

Rob,

Without the fences and depth stops that thing looks like it could work as a molding plane. Any thought given to that?

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    The handle position is strange. As the pushing force is to the right of the blade it will try and skew the blade to the left pushing the fence away from the work. This seems counter productive. The pushing force between the fence and the blade left would keep the fence in contact and make more sense. It seems a second handle to push the fence against the work will be needed. No escaping Newton's Laws!

William, the plough I have has 14 brass knobs! It is marvellously blingy!

The handle is a beaut. It is larger than that on the Small Plow which, after using the Large Plow, feels cramped in comparison. I really like the handle on the Large Plow - it is both comfortable and balanced. The package is excellent from an ergonomic perspective.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries

William, you would be surprised at how well many different plow and combination planes have worked very well with similar handle orientation. To heck with Newton's laws when a tool is in the hands of a woodworking user. If Newton's laws were taken to the extreme the handle would have to be adjustable side to side to be in the optimum position for each blade. Why not just stay with what has been proven to work for more than a century?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Rob,

Without the fences and depth stops that thing looks like it could work as a molding plane. Any thought given to that?

Cliff
    All one needs to make simple moldings are blades for making beads and flutes. The rest is up to the imagination of the user. Further into the future, who knows what blades will be released? There are many shapes that could be made as long as two points of the blade are full depth at the skates. To create more complex moldings with a single blade one of the skates has to be adjustable like on the Stanley #55.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    William, you would be surprised at how well many different plow and combination planes have worked very well with similar handle orientation. To heck with Newton's laws when a tool is in the hands of a woodworking user. If Newton's laws were taken to the extreme the handle would have to be adjustable side to side to be in the optimum position for each blade. Why not just stay with what has been proven to work for more than a century?

jtk
    Hi Jim,
    I just googled a bunch of old plough planes from the previous century. I looked at the pictures and guess what?

Every single one has the handle directly behind the blade. Imagine that! Planes with the handle directly behind the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    William, the plough I have has 14 brass knobs! It is marvellously blingy!

Derek
    Hi Derek,

If your plane is a Record breaker, it must be a Stanley!

Blog Entries
    Hi Jim,
    I just googled a bunch of old plough planes from the previous century. I looked at the pictures and guess what?

Every single one has the handle directly behind the blade. Imagine that! Planes with the handle directly behind the blade.
    I can not tell much from the images of the plow plane posted at the beginning of this thread. It looks right behind the blade to me. The Veritas Small Plow Plane certainly is.

jtk