Thread: What Bowl Gouge Size??

What Bowl Gouge Size??

I'm looking for what bowl gouge size i will get the most benefit from. I have a Delta midi lathe and would do bowls from around 3 to 10 inches max.

I currently have one bowl gouge, a Sorby 3/8 with traditional, non fingernail grind. I measured the diameter of the gouge steel and it is 1/2 diameter with a 3/8 flute, so by American measuring I suppose this is a 1/2 bowl gouge. I am wanting to try a bowl gouge with fingernail grind and looking at a Thompson since Father's Day is coming up (hint hint).

So with what my lathe can handle would i get the most benefit from a Thompson 3/8 (smaller than what i have now), Thompson 1/2 (same size as i have now), or Thompson 5/8 (larger than i have now)? Also what size handle would you recommend, 16 inch or 20 inch?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Bruce Wilson; 06-11-2016 at 2:32 AM.

When i started replacing my tools, I bought Thompson and the first gouge was a 5/8V. Now I have a 1/2 and 3/8 also and the 5/8is still my go to gouge. I also like it best for shear scraping.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Tool selection depends on a number of variables - lathe capacity, physical style of turning (aggressive/more finesse), objects typically turned, and turning techniques typically used. As important as size, or perhaps more important, is the grind preferred. Having owned a 5/8", I found it to be more gouge than I need. However, I have three 1/2" gouges of different flute profiles and grinds as well as a 3/8".

Handle size depends a lot on the same factors. 12" is plenty for me.

I use a 1/2" (shaft) bowl gouge probably 98% of the time, even for 15" bowls. My 5/8" rarely is touched. Since you say you have a midi lathe, a 1/2" should be more than adequate.

A long-time friend who is a bowl production-turner, who thus puts a premium on getting the job done, uses only a 1/2" gouge, even for the larger bowls. I'm not sure he even owns a 5/8".
    Last edited by Robert Henrickson; 06-11-2016 at 7:22 AM.

I'll have to echo what John and Robert said. I own a few 1/2" gouges and a Thompson 5/8" and it is a 1/2" (Thompson "V") that is in my hand 99% of the time if I am using a gouge. I bought the 5/8" for roughing on my big lathe but have found that I can rough quite well with the 1/2" and feel much more comfortable using it. I don't even own a 3/8" but probably should pick one up someday.

6. If you are wanting to try a fingernail grind you could put one on the gouge you have now. The largest I have is a 1/2" bowl gouge and its used just for roughing out. My favorite one is the 1/4" flute size. It may not take off as much wood as the larger ones but its easier to twist and turn it inside a bowl when I want something beyond a basic bowl shape. The bowl gouges I have all have a fingernail grind just different angles 60 for general purpose, 50 for some areas where its narrow, and 1 at 70 for going along the bottom. I am in no way saying anything against the Thompson gouges, but I do like my hurricanes. Not as good as the Thompson but they work fine for my use.

In fact I find a 5/8 to be a little too aggressive for roughing out green work. It's difficult to hold it back. The 1/2 is my go too Now.

I do like the 5/8 for re turning the inside after drying.

I suppose both have their place and sometimes one just feels and works better. I do not own a 3/8 but find a 1/4 detailer indispensable.

I have 2 1/2" and 1 5/8" fingernail grind bowl gouges. Seldom use the 5/8. If I ever buy another one, I would consider a 3/8" Lathe size 16".
    C&C WELCOME

Like Michael said, try the fingernail grind on the Sorby. I find it easier to grind a straight flat fingernail grind on the Sorby than a Thompson V Gouge. I prefer the Thompson Fluteless gouge for wood prone to tearout than shear scraping with a fingernail grind. It is also difficult to shear scrape the inside of a small bowl with a fingernail grind. I would recommend that you don't change the profile of a V gouge other than grinding (radius) some of the heel, until you have considerable experience with it. The profile is pretty good as shipped. IMO a 5/8" is not that useful on a MIDI lathe, I have a MIDI. I also have several Thompson handles and only use 16" handles with 5/8" tools on my 20" lathe. To further muddy the waters, D-Way tools are very good also and I like the polished flute. Pretty difficult to polish the flute after you get the tool.

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. I had thought i wanted the 5/8 for something bigger, but now am leaning towards possibly even the 3/8, but most likely the 1/2 (american measurement) since it seems to be the all around go to for most people. I was thinking i didn't want two of the same size, but i guess the fingernail versus traditional grind will make them "different". Thinking i may go with the 1/2 with 16 length since that length was more comfortable to me with the mock-up i was doing using tape measure to see overall length. Then i can use it for 80-90% of the bowl, and swap to the Sorby 1/2 (american measurement) traditional grind to help ease out the transition from wall to bottom, or my 1/2 round nose scraper.
    Thanks too for all the other manufacturers, will give them a look too. Not totally sold on the Thompson, just have never heard anything bad about them.

You might also consider a short handled 3/8" gouge to use when the long handles get in your way. I have a Thompson with custom 8"handle that I use to do undercut rims and start some cuts when my normal longer handle gouges make me reach way across my lathe bed. I started doing this with a unhandled 3/8" Benjamin Best and had good results so bought the Thompson at SWAT a couple of years back. Useful on both my Comet Midi and Powermatic 3520.

I have a delta midi lathe and also a nova 1624. My go to gouge using either lathe is a 1/2 Jimmy Clewes Thompson Gouge.

You have a fine 1/2" gouge which can be reground if deemed necessary-why buy another. I would pick up a 3/8" Thompson, Glaser or D-Way as they have the best steel That I know of. THe only real reason to move up in this area. Thompson,s unhandled gouges are the best bargain in my opinion.