Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you tried Gimlets?

I've been using them for a year or two. Very handy at times. I've seen them in hardware stores for as little as $5 a set.

Picked up a set a few years ago from Woodcraft (the ones with the red plasti-dipped handles) - horrible, horrible manufacturing, basically worthless. I've been meaning to take a file to them for a while and sharpen them up. I think this thread has inspired me to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Couple years ago, I bought a set like these
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,41306,41329. You can buy what looks like the same set from several sources, for about the same price.

I find that I use them regularly for small jobs. Places where I need to start a screw, drill only 1 or 2 holes, etc. They are a great (and inexpensive) addition to my toolset.

Anyone else tried these? What do you think of them?

Fred
    Hi Fred

I have a set of vintage gimlets for my augers, but never use them. Just too much effort.

My first port of call is a birdcage awl. Recently I have been augmenting this with a push drill: awl to start and drill to increase the depth, and do so very cleanly ...

The awl I made and use looks like this ..

Recently, I had a visitor from the States, James Andrews (a member of SMC), who brought along a few wonderful gifts, one of which was a push drill by Millers Falls (As I write this I am not sure. Anyone recognise the model?)

I did have a Stanley version, but had not used it in years as the bits were dull. The MF is just wonderful. Here is the Stanley 41Y ..

(You may note, above, that James also gifted me a Starrett double square!)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Fred, I have that set from Lee Valley. As others have mentioned, there are plenty ways to start a screw hole but where I find them invaluable is starting a pilot hole in melamine coated particleboard/chipboard. You can't use an awl on this as the surface is too delicate. I recently splurged on a Czeck Edge Birdcage Awl which I'll use for wood.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thanks for all the responses guys. I use mine often - was a well spent $15.
    I didn't know about birdcage awls, though. One more thing to add to my list.
    Derek, your toolmaking ability always makes me envious. Mine is getting better, but my stuff is just never as pretty as yours. (Though my purpleheart making gauge came out fairly nicely.)

Best regards,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-15-2016 at 6:27 AM.

I bought a set 20+ years ago from Garrett Wade as part of a throw in to get their catalog. Spent a lot of time dreaming through their catalog. And I still use the gimlets a couple times a year.

Eric
    I keep cutting and it is still too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ...They are great for setting center on pieces for the lathe.
    I have been using them for years at the lathe. It is especially important to make a starting hole on thin spindle stock of hard or brittle woods or the cone of the center can split the wood.

I showed this while doing a spindle turning demo once and someone said, "Hey, a cordless drill!" Yep!

Another thing gimlets are great for: give a 4-year-old a set of gimlets and soft pine board and he will sit on the shop floor and happily make many holes.

BTW, be careful buying cheap gimlets on Amazon. I ordered several sets just to try and two were absolutely worthless - the points were not even threaded properly! If I did not know gimlets I would have given up on them at the first use. I could have ground threads on them but I just complained and the vendor returned my money. Buy a good set!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I use mine often - was a well spent $15.
    I didn't know about birdcage awls, though. One more thing to add to my list.
    Derek, your toolmaking ability always makes me envious. Mine is getting better, but my stuff is just never as pretty as yours. (Though my purpleheart making gauge came out fairly nicely.)

Best regards,
    Fred
    Thanks Fred. And I do expect you to post a picture of your marking gauge. You cannot just tease us

Regards from Perth

Derek