Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you tried Gimlets?

Have you tried Gimlets?

Couple years ago, I bought a set like these
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,41306,41329. You can buy what looks like the same set from several sources, for about the same price.

I find that I use them regularly for small jobs. Places where I need to start a screw, drill only 1 or 2 holes, etc. They are a great (and inexpensive) addition to my toolset.

Anyone else tried these? What do you think of them?

Fred

Blog Entries
    I use mine regularly. They are great for setting center on pieces for the lathe. They also can be used for getting centered screw holes when installing a hinge.

And sometimes just for making a hole.

If they are found at a reasonable price then it comes home with me.

Gimlets.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have many vintage gimlets and regularly use a few. For anyone interested, Narex sells their version on Amazon, and instead of a wire handle, these appear to have a plastic handle. Look comfortable. Some of my vintage have a wooden handle and are the ones used.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I purchased a few gimlets with a tapered square shank for use with some of my antique braces. I reenact as an eighteenth century woodworker at our annual Spirit of Vincennes Rendezvous. This year, I came up with a bird house kit that kids could assemble with nails and the help of their parents. It was a huge success and I sold out on the first day. All the nail holes are pre-drilled to ease assembly, amazingly, no bent nails, all day! In addition to letting the kids nail the house together, I came up with the idea to let them drill a couple nail holes in the back board in which to mount the bird house. I used a one my gimlets and brace (along with my "cordless drill" joke) an let the kids drill the holes. It took the littlest ones a few minutes to get the hang of it, but it was very amusing to watch them try out various methods of turning the brace. Now I just need someone to tell me how to best sharpen these. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Only the kind with sweetend lime juice.

I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those. They look quite useful.

Blog Entries
    I use a birdcage awl on the regular for installing hinges, works similarly but not to the same depth.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have some bad memories with them. As a kid I wasn't allowed to use the electric drill, so they were my only means to drill a hole. And they were probably dull. I hated the gimlets. Some deep trauma there.

I bought a set a while back, and find them handy for starting screws and making small holes where positioning is important, and the hole doesn't have to be too deep.

Oh yeah! Roses lime juice. You betcha.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have a set made by Robert Larson that I love and use regularly. I tend to keep them at hand, and always bring them when I'm traveling with a minimal number of tools. I'd be interested to try the veritas ones to compare. Mine work quite well until you get to drilling deep holes in very hard woods like oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I use mine regularly. They are great for setting center on pieces for the lathe. They also can be used for getting centered screw holes when installing a hinge.

And sometimes just for making a hole.

If they are found at a reasonable price then it comes home with me.

Gimlets.jpg

jtk
    Wow Jim! Those must be really old. They look like, rather than the auger type with the screw tip, the much older type that just cut. Right?

I think they make gimlet bits (without the lead screw) for braces, too. I've not been able to find any locally and not much luck on Ebay either though. Anyway, nice find! I think I would prefer that style to the auger-style. The lead screws, like on auger bits, like to split the wood if it's too thin, or too near an edge.

Blog Entries
    They look like, rather than the auger type with the screw tip, the much older type that just cut. Right?
    Hi Luke, Some of them have screw thread and double screw thread leads. The longest one, with a rasp shaft and the top one (both German made if my memory is good) both start with the cutting points. Those two do not get used as much as the ones with the screw leads. I did have to touch up the threads on one. I keep forgetting to purchase a knife edge file in town to do a bit better job on the threads.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I don't much care to use gimlets, but we made some for the Historic Area craftsmen. Took no pics though. Boxwood handles.

Blog Entries
    Jim has more, but I have more different types:
    Boring.jpg

From left to right: chisel awl form LV, Czeck Edge birdcage awl, hex gimlets ( for brace or electric drill), tap with a broken end...top is a birdcage awl in a Yankee ratcheting screwdriver. Too many drill bits with counter sinks to get in one picture.

There are lots of ways to start a screw or nail. If you drive enough screws you eventually find most of them. A brace or hand drill with just a drill bit works well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I have some bad memories with them. As a kid I wasn't allowed to use the electric drill, so they were my only means to drill a hole. And they were probably dull. I hated the gimlets. Some deep trauma there.
    I had a similar experience; dull tools left me hating them!

I got a set from Garrett-Wade last year, and I love them!

Blog Entries
    I keep forgetting to purchase a knife edge file in town to do a bit better job on the threads.
    Thanks to this thread I remembered to purchase a knife edge file while in town yesterday. A little touch up on the threads of my biggest gimlet has it pulling into the wood without slippage/stripping.

jtk