Thread: ugly chisel/gouge/rasp rack from scrap

ugly chisel/gouge/rasp rack from scrap

Made this from a plywood shipping box and crappy construction plywood scrap I’m trying to do away with. It may not look too pretty, but it does a good job.

Nothing can compare to the beauty of those Auriou rasps. That is a good use of scraps!

Be careful when removing chisels from the lower rack they are very close to the cutting edge of the upper chisels, the upper chisels may be sharp and just a slight brush can cut deep. I know someone who almost lost a finger nail with the slightest touch of an upper chisel, it split the nail and that someone bled all over the shop.

You may want to think about making a "floor" for each of the racks.

ken

Blog Entries
    That's a nice start Allen. My problem is my accumulation of chisels and gouges is about 10 times that.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's a very nice rack. I was just thinking about making one this past weekend. I may just copy yours!

Thanks Allen!

Blog Entries
    Re-Use, Recycle, Reduex. Well done. Great re-use of materials.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Be careful when removing chisels from the lower rack they are very close to the cutting edge of the upper chisels, the upper chisels may be sharp and just a slight brush can cut deep. I know someone who almost lost a finger nail with the slightest touch of an upper chisel, it split the nail and that someone bled all over the shop.

ken
    I over come this by grabbing my chisels by the blade. this works well for me as mine lift up and out to come free of the swinging door mounted holders.

Plane Till (55).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-12-2016 at 7:33 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I over come this by grabbing my chisels by the blade. this works well for me as mine lift up and out to come free of the swinging door mounted holders.
    It's an IQ test and theft deterrence all wrapped together ! :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post

ken
    I just added one of those to my chisel rack. I have to prevent myself from myself at times, late hours in the shop occasionally produce bad outcomes.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have cut myself that way on other racks, a shelf might be a good idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    I have cut myself that way on other racks, a shelf might be a good idea.
    I have thought of building a pocket shelf beneath the chisels. Haven't settled on any particular way of preventing fingers from meeting sharp edges.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I KNOW that my racks are over crowded,chisels and gouges too close together,etc.. I just have too many, and not enough wall space to hang everything,and no energy left to re do everything after building 450' of shelving, starting with the rough sawn hard pine. So yours looks pretty neat compared to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I KNOW that my racks are over crowded,chisels and gouges too close together,etc.. I just have too many, and not enough wall space to hang everything,and no energy left to re do everything after building 450' of shelving, starting with the rough sawn hard pine. So yours looks pretty neat compared to mine.
    George,

I know your pain .

At least for now, I'm only adding a few to the herd and am limited to adding many more by lack energy and wall space.

ken