Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How is the grizzly g0766 holding up?

Great machine with no problems.
    If it's not fun, you'er not doing it right.

I've had mine a couple of months and love it .Ive roughed out about 20 large green cherry bowls.Also added a Hurricane H tc 125 chuck.Awsome setup!

I have two vintage lathes (1939 Ward Power Craft and 1951 Oliver 159A). Want to thank everyone for their responses, if I ever add a third lathe to the shop this would be a contender I think.

Chris, I have an old Sears circa 1950 wood lathe. I think that you'll really enjoy a modern lathe like the G0766 because it is easier to use, larger capacity and actually safer (at least for large items like a bowl). On my Sears lathe I need a wrench to move the tool rest and tailstock. On the Griz it is just a handle and repositioning is very fast. The Griz can handle things from small pens to large platters. On my Sears lathe with an out-of-round rough blank, it is always kind of scary to turn it on because the slowest speed is around 900 rpm whereas on the Griz, you can keep the speed as low as you need to keep the lathe from walking around the shop. Incidentally, the Griz is so much heavier than the Sears that it can handle out-of-balance pieces much better and safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rodgers View Post
    [...] I would love to get a pm3520a but I have a hard time spending $4000 on it, [...] .
    Be aware that the Powermatic 3520b is deeply discounted now, in advance of the 3520c release... Just sayin'

Ely

6. Quote Originally Posted by ELY WALTON View Post
    Be aware that the Powermatic 3520b is deeply discounted now, in advance of the 3520c release... Just sayin'

Ely
    Even at the discount it is twice the price of a G0766, and I like the 3520b, but having turned on 11 of them to date, I can say the performance is not any better than the G0766!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Chris, I have an old Sears circa 1950 wood lathe. I think that you'll really enjoy a modern lathe like the G0766 because it is easier to use, larger capacity and actually safer (at least for large items like a bowl). On my Sears lathe I need a wrench to move the tool rest and tailstock. On the Griz it is just a handle and repositioning is very fast. The Griz can handle things from small pens to large platters. On my Sears lathe with an out-of-round rough blank, it is always kind of scary to turn it on because the slowest speed is around 900 rpm whereas on the Griz, you can keep the speed as low as you need to keep the lathe from walking around the shop. Incidentally, the Griz is so much heavier than the Sears that it can handle out-of-balance pieces much better and safer.
    I have never turned any bowls but I want to try. The Oliver would make a fantastic dedicated spindle machine I think, and outboard turning ahs some appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ELY WALTON View Post

Ely
    I love that lathe...although as only an occasional turner I find the larger Oneway more appealing for some odd reason.

I am considering the G0766, but I notice in a comparison between it and the G0733 which is a little smaller, the G0766 is stated as having a "cast iron bed" while the G0733 and G0694 are stated as a "precision ground cast iron bed". Any input on the difference in quality between the beds of these?

10. Quote Originally Posted by dustin wassner View Post
    I am considering the G0766, but I notice in a comparison between it and the G0733 which is a little smaller, the G0766 is stated as having a "cast iron bed" while the G0733 and G0694 are stated as a "precision ground cast iron bed". Any input on the difference in quality between the beds of these?
    The quality of the cast iron bed is very good.....pretty much like the 3520b. Sometimes when Grizzly puts out a marketing statement, they don’t always get the details all included. I think both models you reference are the same....they are both manufactured by the same company.

Good point, I just thought it was odd for a few reasons: the two models that have a precision ground cast iron bed mention this in both the product comparison section and descriptions, and also I would think that if the 0766 had this, it would not be left out.

My main concern is because of headstock/tailstock alignment point to point throughout the entire distance of the bed.

I have an old 1950's Craftsman and I can clearly see that the ways were machined on a mill and I can see circular tool marks created by an "end mill" during its manufacturing. .

On the G0766, the finish on the ways is very nice. I can affirm that they were not left in the machined state. There are no circular mill marks. In fact, when I got the G0766 there weren't any marks at all on the ways. The only way to get the G0766 ways to look so nice is to grind them. So, yes, they are ground. I haven't read about anyone having an alignment (center to center) issue after they correctly leveled their machine.

BTW, on the older G0733, I have read a few complaints about roughness or sharpness on the edges of the ways. So, while Griz may have advertised that it was "precision ground", there were some minor issues. But these complaints are superficial, as two minutes and a file would take care of that.

So the G0766 has ground ways. The finish on the ways looks nice. Keep in mind that you are not working on a metal lathe where having an imperfection of a thou or two can be an issue. A wood lathe is not nearly as critical.

thanks Brice. Another question for you, Rodger and any other G0766 owners was concerning the banjo bar on the upgraded banjo. I watched a video on youtube of someone swapping the parts out from the old banjo to the new one, and the rod that runs underneath the banjo looks like it is 3/4" dia or so. Hard to tell from the video, but for this size banjo, I am wondering how much the bar bends when the bar is being pulled in the middle.

I know that the American Beauty/3520/large Vicmarc, have a banjo bar that is 1.25"+ in diameter, and from the video, the G0766 looks considerable smaller. With that being said, if the Griz bar diameter works, then it works, just curious about its deflection...

14. Quote Originally Posted by dustin wassner View Post
    thanks Brice. Another question for you, Rodger and any other G0766 owners was concerning the banjo bar on the upgraded banjo. I watched a video on youtube of someone swapping the parts out from the old banjo to the new one, and the rod that runs underneath the banjo looks like it is 3/4" dia or so. Hard to tell from the video, but for this size banjo, I am wondering how much the bar bends when the bar is being pulled in the middle.

I know that the American Beauty/3520/large Vicmarc, have a banjo bar that is 1.25"+ in diameter, and from the video, the G0766 looks considerable smaller. With that being said, if the Griz bar diameter works, then it works, just curious about its deflection...
    No deflection of the bar....mine holds tight and does not slip. Proper adjustment is necessary, and if I were you I would either use some teflon tape on the threads or get a nyloc nut that fits.....it will prevent having to keep tightening it every couple times you turn.

No real problems with my G0766. Great Lathe.